Cotton, Polyester, or Blend?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darb, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

We are getting uniforms and really want to look professional as possible so this is why I am asking the Home Economics question.

I wanted to know what material your shirts are made of. We are in major heat and humidity down here and we were wanting a shirt that withstood these elements the best. I heard 100% cotton was the best for breathing so as to keep cool but we also have to be concerned about how it looks after 2 hours in the heat. :confused:
    Thanks,
    Darb

2. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Cotton is certainly the cooles. Polyester is the hottest. I would use either cotton or blend. The blend fabric will last longer, but you have to put up with the extra heat.

3. soccer coach

soccer coach LawnSite Member
    from midwest

We use a blend as it seems to be cool enough and stain resistant as well. The place we use charges 7.00 per xx-large shirt with our name on the left front pocket area. I think it is a ggod price as you can hardly buy a shirt alone for that price. This is just a short sleeve t-shirt. We use a nice dress shirt for cold calling commercial accounts. We have had more accounts comment on our company shirts and they way we dress so we try to look our best. Also we change from Dark Green shirts with beige lettering to Beige shirts with Dark green lettering for the hot months to stay abit cooler. The 1oo % cotton seems to sweat stain easy.

4. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

All of my shirts (shortsleeve and longsleeve) and sweatshirts are a blend. My company colors are red so my shortsleeve shirts can be hot during the extreme heat of summer. My longsleeve shirts as well as my sweatshirts are grey. Go figure, I wear the red ones during the summer and the grey ones in early spring and fall.:rolleyes:
    I went with the blend because I was afraid of the 100% cotton shrinking too much. I like my clothes a little loose fitting.
    I had a dozen shortsleeve shirts with my co. name on them made for about $110.00. The sweatshirts were about $30.00 apiece and the longsleeve shirts $15.00.

5. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

We use all cotton for our work shirts. I have some that are blended for some sales calls. The cotton ones keep us cooler.

6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm from Central FL so I know what heat and humidity are all about. I've found that while 100% cotton may tend to breath a little better, they're not worth a damn once they become wet with sweat. And they don't breath at all once wet. They take forever to dry. A 50/50 blend will dry out much faster than 100% cotton and for that reason it'll keep you more comfortable.

7. Hookset

Hookset LawnSite Member

I with mowerman, once cotton gets wet it takes forever to dry. A blend is much better.