Could 2 Super Surfers be replaced with 2 Sentars

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2 man crew, Jan 16, 2007.

1. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

I've got 2 great danes super surfers that need to be replaced. Our dealers stopped caring Great Dane. We need 2 stand on adjustable deck mowers that are good on hills. I've contacted Wright about hill stability. They say it goes like this: 1st stander, 2nd Sentar. 3rd Stander rh. I will demo the Sentar in April but the grass won't be growing yet in MN so the more info I have about it the better.

Can the versatility of the 52" Surfers be replaced with a 52" Sentar?

What is the cut quality like on the Sentar? I.e clumps stringers missed grass between blades ect....

Hill stability?

Ride Quality?

2. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Turf just tested one, I forget what issue though. Ask in the turf thread.

3. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

i tested a sentar before i bought a super surfer. it was a nice machine but didnt handle as well as the super surfer.An the closest dealer was 35 miles away ! hope that helps thanks George

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I've ran a Sentar for the past 4 years and can't say a thing bad about it other than lack of attachments (i.e. bagging capabilities, towing) which you wouldn't have with thesurfer anyways. Very comfortable, holds the hills and almost makes you push your limitation as you know you can bail at a moments notice.

5. 2 man crew

Thanks I also found out today that Lesco will have the Great Dane line. I may just stick with the dane's. Any other feed back on the Sentars would be great.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

19 & 23 Kaw's on the 52" surfers:)

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Here's my thoughts... random as they may be.

I think all of the stand on machines have bonus features and compromises.
    ALL OF THEM... and I'll get to that in a bit.

Now, with my experience with Lesco (great) and my experience with Wright in my area... well let me put it this way... I've been waiting about a year now for that Wright rep to call me.

So it's needless to say I would get a Great Dane from Lesco before I would buy a Wright anything

Putting all that aside, I think the Wright Stander gives you the most comfortable standing position. I'm GUESSING, but it probably holds slopes better than a Surfer. But I just can't cope with a fixed deck for my applications. I have to change heights too much.

The Super Surfer has the spring platform and floating deck. The Gen II deck is also a far cry better than their old one as well... and built stronger.

The Sentar probably is king of the hills above all of them because it's wider, heavier and lets you sit or stand. There was a time I was in love with that idea and really wanted a Sentar. I drove one, but wanted a cutting demo where I could check out the cut and slope performance. Like I said... still waiting on that call. That's OK because my wife was protesting the idea anyways... LOL (Sentar looks dangerous to her).

Anyways, when I drove the Sentar, what I found was that the sitting and standing were neither here nor there. The seat suspension is very comfortable and everything. But sitting is a compromise still. Plus I'm taller, so standing was a compromise too because the control deck is so low on them. When going into reverse, the rear part of the controls were trying to bunt me in the family jewels.

That's my 3 cents....

8. 2 man crew

Maybe one sentar and a new super surfer??

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Might be a good idea....

10. exmarkdude

exmarkdude LawnSite Member

Until end of the month January 31, 2007, Lesco is offering 10% of all there equipment...including the SS Gen II!!!