Could a 32" Walk Behind take the place of a 21"

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by howardsells2000, Jun 20, 2006.

1. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you think I could do away with the 21" if I bought a 32". I have a 36" but still have problems sometimes getting it through gates. I have just been thinking about this lately. I currently have a 21", 36" and a 52".
  2. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC LawnSite Member

I replaced my 21" with a 36" and I havent had an issue yet fitting thru gates.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

All I have are 48's, and that's the smallest I'll buy unless a 44" just happens to come along at a good deal but any smaller than that, forget it. One thing's for sure, when I started this business I took the pledge of 'I will never use a pushmower again for as long as I live.' This got tested once or twice, none of those people are my customers now and I get so much more work done with that 4-foot deck for the same money.

As for gates, so long it's at least 4 feet wide, I have no problems either.
    And if it don't fit, I can not service it and thank you.
    Because why spend more time with a smaller deck?
  4. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

used a 21" my first year and upgraded to a 32" it is the best size for my properties it fits in 114 of 116 of my backyards and ive never been happier with an upgrade lol

it all depends on your houses if i got a 34" it would not fit in alot more fences and i would have to cut 10-20 backyards a week with a 21" and i would not be happy at all
  5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

In an urban environment,like the city of Chicago, nothing can replace a 21-inch mower. The lawns are all so stamped sized ,a 21-inch is the most productive option,and 90% have fenced backs,with gates just about 24 ,25, 26 inches wide.On the suburban routes, we only utilize a 21-inch for trim purposes, and a occasional gate a 36 can't fit through.