Could a loose muffler lose enough compression

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by UGA, Apr 28, 2003.

1. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

to slow down my blade tip speed enough to notice. I have noticed this year that even with high lifts (singles) I have recut the same area 2 and today 3 times to get it to look good. This didn't used to be the case. Before I go calling my dealer who will want to replace both gaskets and the muffler I thought I would ask here. Thanks, It's a 52" GDane Surfer w/ a 22hp Kohler air cooled.

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I doubt it. I have a 52" hydro 14hp single cylinder Kawasaki walk behind spinning doubles and pulling a sulky. It does good for itself for that low of power with all that draw on it. It has a muffler leak and it doesn't seem to notice it. I also have a 8hp pulling garden tractor that I pull in the same class with 12hp ones and they all run 1" exhausts (straight pipes). I run a 2" exhaust and my tractor pulls just as good as theirs. I have to go just a little bit slower but we are not racing against time. Obviously the Scag has to go slower than a 17hp machine but I'm just saying although my machines are underpowered and have less backpressure than they should they sure do good for themselves so I don't think backpressure is an issue on small engines. Now if we're talking NASCAR or monster trucks, indy cars, dragsters etc. I'd be interested :)

3. UGA

and that I should check my belts and blades first.

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Sounds like a plan. Don't overtighten your belts or you can cause premature wear and breakage of spindle bearings. Check the owner's manual it tells how you can determine if it's tight enough. Also may need to simply clean your deck.

5. UGA

to the recommended amount and the cut is MUCH improved...what a morone; it's just like me to make a problem that is nothing to fix cost me money (muffler replacement) Once I get my high lifts in and get them supersharp I should have the cut right where I want it. The funny thing is I just tightened both belst less than 20 hours ago (on the mower) One of the belts is new kevlar belt from Rotary that last longer but stretches more. It had to be tightened more than the other one. How often do you guys tighten/check your belts?

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

So when are both of you guys going to fix your mechanical defects on your mowers? You guys go out and buy mowers that cost thousands of dollars brand new and won't even put a $100 muffler on them.

7. UGA

to get rid of the extra racket. I'll check the gaskets first and go from there. The muffler through my dealer is more like $175 which is money I'd rather not spend right now. I had to have it welded a couple of years ago and pulled it then to take it in to the welder.
    Oh and BTW my mower only cost me $2400 with 100 hours on it. That's beside the point but had to mention it.

8. UGA

in the J. Thomas catalog. They might just become my favorite place to get parts if this keeps up. I will be glad when my catalog gets here.

9. I agree with this.

BHB didn't TLS just tell you tabout the belts, and spindels this week end? Isn't that mimicing/plagerisim?

Yes an exaust leak will cost you hp, and top end performance.

Back pressure help create horse power and torque in these small engines.

Plus loose belts will also cost you blade speed, which was done above.

While you are at it change your spark plugs.

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Yes he did just tell me and I thought it was useful info so I passed it on, what is wrong with that?

If a leaky exhaust is costing me horsepower then Scag accidentally put a 17hp engine on it when it says 14hp, because it does just fine. :rolleyes: