could anyone do this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turbo5560, Feb 13, 2008.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 LawnSite Senior Member

could anyone mow 81,363 sq ft. and fertilize that same property for a 4 step program for $3,000 a season?
    or could you mow a 29,000 sq ft. lot every week and a 50,000 sq. ft. lot everyone week and fertililze the 29,000 sq. ft. lot 4 times for $2,000 a season?

For those of you in west michigan... i was trying to move out towards grand rapids and these two companies asked for bids and i sent them ones for roughly $6,000 and $4,000 respectively and called them today and both said I was twice as high as the previous provider. While I don't know a lot of the lawn care companies in Grand Rapids, from what I heard the company doing it is the biggest one in Grand Rapids, I though that DJ's was one of the biggest, but i guess not. I mean how can you mow for that dirt cheap? From my expirence the bigger lco's are so expensive that almost anyone can under bid them, but they keep customers for the shear fact that they are a big lco. Anyone have any issues like this?

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't touch the first one for less than $5,500 and thats pushing it, $3,000 is way to low. The bigger company's make the bulk of there money on landscaping and just use lawn care to pay employees, they don't make much on lawn mowing since most if not all the money goes to payroll. Around here most of the lowballers are the big company's, they undercut everyone just to get accounts to keep there guys busy but on the flip side they are the highest priced company's when it comes down to landscaping, their bread and butter.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The first one I could do for a couple of hundred more. The second one is almost as big as the first one (less the decreased fert size) and I wouldn't touch that with a 20 foot pole. The first one is only 1.8 acres. Depending on trimming and blowing I could maybe do that by myself in under 2 hours. And I'm slow. In your neck of the woods I'm guessing 25 cuts a year.

4. turbo5560

the problem with the first one is the whole thing needs to be fertilized and that costs almost $1000 off the top. And we mow about 30 times a year. So 2000/30=66.66 per cut. But also there is a couple hours of trimming bushes that has to happen twice a year and you have to either spray or pull weeds. Could you still do all that for $3,000?

oh... and edging all the curbs which, one person alone doing that every other weeks would add an addition 20 minutes to the mow time... not a big deal but it's time and small equipment and blades

5. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Big guys around here are the cheapest. Lot's of workers and the biggest jobs. They do the citys utility sites, schools, etcc. Can't touch there rates and don't want to.

6. Skimastr105

Skimastr105 LawnSite Senior Member

DJ's is pretty big... he can do everything so cheap because he is very efficient. It is an element of his business that he has mastered.

7. turbo5560

no, there is a misunderstanding. DJ's is a very good company! What i meant was i thought that DJ's was one of the biggest, but i found out that there was a much larger lco that was doing the cheap bidding in this instance. I have seen DJ's lawn crews work and they do a great job and are a big lco, but most large lco don't do a good job. Thats what i meant by that.