1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Could be a costly mistake bale/suck it up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DAZ982500, Apr 24, 2006.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 LawnSite Member

Gave a customer an estimate 2 weeks ago on a lawn that was estimated to be approx 1.5 acres, for 75 a cut.Well it turns out to be 2 acres.Heres the bigger problem its out of our normal service area 15 miles away.1/2 hour drive time one way, 1.5hrs to cut with w/b then the drive back.I am thinking of trying to get out of this one.We do not run zeros ,36" toro wb.She states she could not find anyone else ,which is possible because it is out of the way.A more realistic price would be 120 a cut.I do'nt think she would pay this she needed a day to think about original estimate.Any thoughts on this. By the weay I normally service small/med size places.Oh, by the way she is the only one this far out.Maybe I bit off more then I can swallow.Dave
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Try and get more business out that way. Just having one other customer can make it worth your while to do the work out there. I branched out this year to an area around 15 miles away as well, right aroudn two acres, the day i went out to check the place out and get the job (i did get the account) i passed out the remaining flyers i had out there.
  3. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

where in NY are you from? i'd take it off your hands if i'm closer than you. $75 for 1.5 acres is about right in my part of the state. Remember if you're only running a 36" you can't command the same price per hour as someone running a 61". $120 for 1.5 acres? You'd have alot of free time in my area if you know what I mean.
  4. dc33

dc33 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

if you can fill her spot, then yes raise the rate or dump her.
    If you cant and still have slots to fill, then just tuff it out. Getting underpaid and working when you normally wouldnt is better than sitting on your butt doing nothing....then raise it next year :)

as long as Im working Im happy, when Im full is when I weed out the less profitable ones :dancing:
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Tell her in the 2 wks since you gave the estimate fuel has gone WAY up and you can no longer afford to mow at the agreed upon price. Then its up to you to raise the price and her to either accept or decline.

2-1/2 hrs for $75 - fuel ? you might as well sit home and go broke at that rate
  6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would try advertising out in her neighboorhood! You may be able to pick up a few customers out that way to make it worth going out that way. If you don't pick anybody up around her, I would stick with it if you could. I only drop customers as a last and I mean last resort!
  7. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 LawnSite Member

I am in Binghamton ny at the border of pa/ny. Dave
  8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

How did you figure the 15 mile drive distance into your estimate? Also, what device did you use to estimate the size when you were there giving the quote?