Could have been real bad!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by barringtonbrothers, May 14, 2004.

1. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Me and my buddy are sitting on my old mans porch one day talking and watching the guy across the street mow his law. Well its starts too rain, I mean a solid wall of summer thunderstorm rain. The guy just keeps on keeping on for about 10 mins in the rain. No prob right? Well the only problem is this guy was using a electric mower powered off the house. My buddy grew up with and worked with electicians, so he knows about electricity and how dangerous it is. We just sat and bet each other on when the dude would get the bajesus shocked out of him and we would have to revive the dummy. Well I dont know how he did it, but he finnished and I didnt have to go blow into his mouth thank god.

2. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

How stupid can you be to run an electric mower in the rain?

3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

its amazing how some people can get so caught up in their work that saftey just slips totally away.

JOB #1-BE SAFE!!!!

4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

it was pouring out yesterday and as i was finishing up blowing, the homeowner comes out and asks if it is okay for her to trim her bushes if its raining out. i go "well, i wouldnt, u can but i wouldnt advise it" first of all, why would u trim bushes in the rain, its not like she HAD to do em right then and there, and also why would they ask me something like that, i thought everyone knew that electricty and water dont mix.

anyway, if i were you, i would have went across the street and advised him to stop so he doesnt get electriccuted, and i would have said "$15 and ill finish up for you so you dont have to get wet"

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

or I would have said, hey I have a bet with my buddy for $20 (how ever much you bet) that you won't get zapped. How about I finish up the lawn, and split the bet with you.

6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

thats damn true, i learned that the hard way. i was trimming a bush last year, and bees came out (im allergic) so i droped the hedge trimmer but the blades got caught in the tip of my finger, and cut a big chunck of skin off my finger, it was REALLY close to cutting my nuckle off. Damn i was lucky.

Now, i wear gloves when trimming bushes, and i wear eye protection (usually sun glasses) and i wear ear muffs when trimming, edging, blowing (cause my stihl is sooo loud, hehe)

7. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I don;t what's scarier...a guy mowing in the rain with an electric mower...or two guys waiting for him to get zapped.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

That truly is a stupid thing to do but he was more than lucky as the electric mowers are double insulated because the mfgrs know that goofy homeowners do goofy things. Thats not to say that he still couldn't be zapped but it is safer than drying his hair out there with a blow dryer.
    What wouldn't be safe is you blowin in his mouth if he fell over in cardiac arrest. Mouth to mouth without a barrier is a thing of the past for this cat. Besides its Darwinism at its best. Not that I am an unsympathetic SOB but being in fire and EMS for 19 years has me seeing what goofy things people do to themselves and others. Not many people go out to injure themselves (although a small percentage do) and I do have compassion for them to a point.

You have to get the digital camera or video camera working in moments like these, it could be worth some money.

9. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah Ive seen the barriers. My dads a cop and my moms a nurse so we have that stuff around. But if some sob need mouth to mouth Im gonna do it with or with out the barrier. I just cant stand by and let the dummy die.

10. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

120 volt house current usualy doesn't have a lot of knock down power. He would probly jump and jerk for a good bit before he finally quit breathing. You could easily walk over and unplug the cord to save him, before his breathing ceased, so no reason to need to lip lock with the idiot after all !

If a bolt of lightening came down and whoofed him - it's not much use waisting your time with CPR on him then. That stuff blows all the circuits out pretty much permanently, and besides it's likely his shirt and his hair would all be on fire, and with all the smoke around in the air, who could do CPR then ? Better to just let the rain put him out, and you stay on the porch, and call 911 on your cell phone. Don't use a land line phone , what with all the lightening and all !!! or you could wind up stretched out in the meat wagon, right along with him, and then all the neighbors would really have something to stare at !