Could I use a Toro PT 21 as a commercial mower for part timer??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Beaner, May 11, 2008.

1. Beaner

Beaner LawnSite Member

Could a guy use the Toro PT21 trim mower as a full time mower for a part time business?? Weight and cost are the two things I'm looking at. They are $800, the 21 full commercials retail for $1500 up here in Canada. Please lads, how about a few opinions....thanks

2. Beaner

Beaner LawnSite Member

does anyone use these trim mowers???

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Beaner, good thread.

Define part time first off. Are we talking 10 lawns a week, 5, or 30?
    If anywhere less than 10 lawns per week, I would definitely yes this would be a good mower. I use my SuperRecycler for 4 yards per week, 2nd year now, and it is going strong. Unless you plan to do a massive number of lawns per week with your trim mower, don't waste $$ on the high priced option, the PT21 may be good for you.

But again, all dependent on your definition of part time.

4. Beaner

Beaner LawnSite Member

Thanks DA. I'm at 12 yards right now, probably wouldn't get any bigger than 25 at the most. I'm looking at the trim mower as a "light commercial mower" that doesn't break the bank. Other than deck thickness and gas tank size, I don't see a huge difference. Hope to hear what you think.

5. Beaner

Beaner LawnSite Member

Is the super recycler the same as the PT-21trim???

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

10-12 yards would possibly be ok for a few years for the pt21.
    25 yards is full time work (especially with a 21" mower)...and i think there are a few on here that would say the personal pace on the pt wouldn't stand up as long.

The super recycler is not the same as pt21. Both have Personal pace tranny but pt21 is upgraded a bit to more commercial specs.

Hope this helps...

7. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Beaner,

I'm also a part-time person in this industry. I have 10 lawns per week. Last year, I use the PT21 mower and from my experience, I would not reccomend it for anything other than a few lawns per week. Overall, the mower is very good. The kawasaki engine is excellent and the unit is an amazing mulcher. Cut quality is decent too.

The biggest problem is that personal pace tranny. It can not hold up to any commercial use, even if it is limited as yours is. That tranny has a lifespan of 300 hours. A few dealers in my area told me that. The tranny on the full blown commercial unit has a lifespan of 1000 hours. It is also much stronger and will propel the machine through thick grass with ease. I can't say the same about the personal pace...especially when I was bagging. It would slow down a lot. Because of these issues, I sold my PT21 this spring and went with a full blown commercial Exmark Metro 21" and I couldn't be happier.

Overall, spend the extra money and get the full blown commercial unit. In Canada, the difference in price between the PT21 and the non-BBC, self-propelled Toro proline is $300. Over 1000 hours, you'd have to replace the personal pace tranny twice. Each time, it costs about $300 to replace. Hence, you end up paying more money in the long run. I also found the bolts that hold the wheels and handlebars to the frame to constantly get loose.

Hope this helps you.

8. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I only used my super recycler about 10 or so hours a week and our growing season is short, 5 months. Two years and I've need it repaired a couple times and now it basically need an full out tune up again. I would say that the regular regular recycler is just as good.. or just as crappy depending on your point of view. Both these mowers are back ups for me now, I bought a Toro Proline and I have a Toro 36.

9. Beaner

Beaner LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback boys. Much appreciated. The $1500 for the full blown is big cash but in the long run..... Anyone else have any experience with this machine???

10. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Check out a Snapper Commercial hivac with the kawasaki FJ-180. its a great mower. I have two with hondas but my next will be kawasaki's because of cheaper parts. Its only around $800 and its fully commercial.