could it get any worse

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Sweet Tater, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

Man, I was so excited today. A local business called me to mow two of his businesses, I don't normally do them. They are small grass areas So I only charge his $45 each. Thats not bad for a day off, making $90. But it quickley turned sour. As I was mowing my lazer z zinged a rock from under the discharge cover ( I covered the whole thing to mulch) and pegged my own truck shattering the drivers window into a million zillion tiny pieces. So now I get to give the business owner back the 90, plus some extra. He's the repair shop doing the replacement window.
    I can't handle to many more times paying the customer to mow his grass :cry: :cry: :cry:
  2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Tough luck Tater! I bet you do a walk through next time. I personally don't do commercial properties. I am amazed at the garbage around your typical gas/conv store and most guys just buzz through it and make a bigger mess. Oh well tomorrow is another day.:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:
  3. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, this is a perfect lesson then. You're really not making 90$ even on a day where nothing goes wrong.
  4. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Wow sorry about that. If it hit anything the widows probably the easiest and least expecive part to replace then if it hit your fender or hood. Also i would rather deal with getting my own vehicle fixed then dealing with someone elses car that got damaged by my doing. Hope things go better next time.

Hopefully the customer didn't put it in harms way to get some business out of you:laugh:
  5. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Better a window, than someones' eyeball.
    No real lesson to learn, just a bad day. Ya gotta have bad days to appreciate the good ones.
    Tomorrow will be a better day, or maybe not if what they say about things happening in 3's????
  6. mike33087

mike33087 LawnSite Member

eliminate this problem and user a grass catcher
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Man forget that, look...

All you do is take some time to find yourself a used glass for that window, then spend some quality time with the truck removing the door panel and replace that joker yourself, probably cost you 20-30-40 bucks... It ain't that hard, just takes time and patience, have to remove a few things like the arm rest and maybe a window crank and what have you, then pop the panel off, the window itself you should be able to access the regulator thing through holes in the frame.
    Re-assemble, you might have to buy some of those plastic things for the door panel.

I don't know how I'd survive without fixing stuff myself, mechanic will charge you probably 2-300, then they use new glass (+$), I don't see myself being in business long this way, these are work trucks, not omg it got a ding i gotta run to maaco :)

I would DIY, trust me, I have done this, more than once, was scared the first time too.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Man I'd be pissed off too, especially considering you got out of bed on a Saturday just to work for this customer. If the owner has half a heart, I hope he just charged you for the cost of the glass. If not, then next time you break your own window, take it somewhere else :laugh:
  9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

At least it was your own truck. It would have been worse if it was some elses.

Smile, it could be worse. I smiled and yes things got worse.
  10. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Morale of the story, never mow with your shoot towards cars, windows, or anyother glass....sorry for your loss....