Could not Believe it

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfman33, Aug 10, 2003.

1. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

I went to check out bigger trailer yesterday. the guy in the store use to be a landscaper and he told me that he witnessed a lawn guy in the area, pull up to another lawn guy's truck and equipment, (while the guy wasn't there), jump out and start beating up his equipment and take off.

What the heck has the lawn game come to. We have to worry about crooks steeling our equipment first, so we have to chain and lock it up like Fort knocks. Now we have to worry about each other in case our stuff gets smashed up? what a sad thing that Lawn Care professionals can't all get along. we are all out there in the same boat. Working our backsides off come rain or shine. We should be pulling together not fighting each other. To many other people waiting to rip us off to be worrying about our fellow Lawn care guy. I wave and talk to other lawn guys in the area around me. There is plenty of work out there for all of us. It's a shame that lawn care guys can't get together like an association in different counties and states and get to know each other better, Plus look out for each other. I know that if I were out there and see another lawn guy getting ripped off, I would be giving chase to help the guy. Even if I didn't know him. And I would like to think that somebody would have my back if it happened to me. I had a lawn guy pull up right across the road from me. He came over and wanted to know how I lock all my stuff up because he had his blowers stolen. Now whenever I see him we always either wave or chat about stuff in general. That to me is how it should be.

Sorry I went on a bit, But this really shocked me that one LCO would do that to another. VERY SAD that it comes to that.

Steve

2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

The way LCOs treat each other around here, it does not and would not suprise me. I always keep an eye on stuff when another LCO is around. Sad, but true.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

same here, i try to talk with other guys but it seems like they think you're trying to steal their clients or eyeball their equipment. When guys stop at the deli where i eat they always sit on their trailers while they eat and stare you down as your roll by or walk past.

i do lock my equipment down on the trailer, but i don't feel the need to physically sit on the trailer while i'm eating 50' away.

4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

The underlying problem here is the unregulation of the Green Industry.

Anyone with a mower can say they have a busines.

There is not enough enforcement of having a License and Insurance. Stricter regulation is needed. Laws preventing bagging and leaving the bags behind are needed and or enforced.

That is the root of what causes the problems.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

What, pray tell, does this have to do with angry LCOs?

6. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

MORE GOVERNMENT REGULATION You have got to be joking!

We DONOT NEED ANY MORE STUPID LAWS!!!!

We need those that are there inforced. If the guy saw someone "beat up" someones equipment the perpitruater needs to be caught tried and punished. The guy who saw the crime needs to report it or he is guilty too.

Jim

7. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Competition

8. GLAN

GLAN Banned

"The underlying problem here is the unregulation of the Green Industry"

Sorry that is not worded correctly.

It is not "unregulated" what I meant was "nonregulated"

9. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

The only regulation I would be happy with is if all LCO's were FORCED to carry insurance. That would eliminate a lot of problems with undesirable LCO's who underbid the rest of us and make a bad name for the green industry with low quality work. If a lot of these guys were forced to carry insurance, they'd quit the business. It wouldn't be so easy to just buy a mower and have a business.

Other than that, I don't want the government to stick their nose in any more of my business. Regulations would probably mean fees for us to pay and huge paperwork hassles.

I hope that whoever beat that person's equipment is caught and punished accordingly.

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Last I heard, stopping by and beating the hell out of someone else's equipment was AGAINST THE LAW. How much more strict do you need it than that?

As for the bags part.....you sure you aren't smoking your clippings instead of leaving them behind?