Could someone please answer this paver over concrete question?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by bigboar, Feb 28, 2009.

1. bigboar

bigboar LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Hi all,
    I have a concrete patio that is 12x16 and is pinned to the foundation of my home. I would like to do a 16x20 paver patio that would cover the entire old slab and extend out 4' on each side. Can I leave the existing and compact base for the rest up to the existing concrete and then lay fabric, 1" of sand and then the pavers? or could I have problems doing this? please take it easy on me as I have just started thinking about this project and would like to do it in the spring. I am in southwestern ohio and have freeze/thaw cycles if it makes a difference. thanks for any help in advance.

2. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't see any issue with that as long as the slab is in good shape.

3. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Take a little more time compacting along the edges of the concrete as this tends to be harder to get good total compaction along existing slabs. Also use fabric under your base and over lap the fabric over your concrete for extra insurance.

4. bigboar

bigboar LawnSite Member
    from ohio

great... thanks for the replies...

5. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't do it that way, unless you want to redo it.

6. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

KC, what way would you do it??? LOL! Jerry and his trusty black T and sweats. Cool avatar.

7. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Rip out and do it the right way. Short cuts=crappy results
    Gotta love Jerry!

8. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

I think the term is "disproportionate settlement". When the gravel base settles and the concrete doesn't.
    How about pouring concrete to extend the existing patio, and then cover the whole thing with pavers? Just be sure to drill into the sides of the slab and insert rebar to tie in with the new extensions, and to drill drainage holes through the slab if your border course will be glued or mortared.

9. bigboar

bigboar LawnSite Member
    from ohio

well how about another course of action? has anyone seen a patio done that was concrete and extended with pavers? I am thinking it would probably look weird..

10. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

I've done it before, where cost of removing the slab was an issue. Some might think it looks weird, but the owner was happy.
    I thought you wanted to cover the existing slab?

patioext.JPG