Could the warrantee be transferred??

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ple_1969, Feb 26, 2003.

1. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

Hi Exmark,

I bought a TTHP in October 2002 and I am now selling it to get a Lazer Z. A perspective buyer asked in the warrantee was transferable. ItÂ’s a good question, something I never thought about. Could the warrantee be transferred over to who ever buys it?

Thanks,
    Pete

2. tippy

tippy LawnSite Member

PLE_1969...

I just ran into the same situation...except that I was the one doing the purchasing. It states in the manual that the warranty is for the original owner/non-transferable.

It seems that there is some grey area though. If you find a dealer who is willing to go ahead and back the warranty, I guess the dealer can make a warranty claim and eXmark would be none the wiser whether it was from the original owner or not.

I'm interested in hearing from eXmark as you are.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Guys,

The warranty on all Exmark products is to the original owner and can not be transferred.

This is fairly common with many commercial or professional products and isn't isolated to lawnmowers.

Truthfully the warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship. Most of you guys work these machines pretty hard and any defective materials or poor workmanship would have most likely shown up by now anyway.

It's possible that a dealer would try to slide a warranty through and your right we probably wouldn't catch it but most dealers would be hesitant to do so. They realize what the warranty is intended for. It's your insurance that it was built correctly and if it wasn't the manufacturer will stand behind it. It's not to be confused with a garantee that would fix anything no matter what for a given period of time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Terry

4. eXmark

Update,

Good Ol' Freddy called me today. There's been a change in warrany policy. The remaining warranty CAN be transferred to the new owner. It will still need to be processed through an Exmark dealer however.

Sorry for the confusion.

Terry

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I noticed also that it says it's not transferable. Exmark might want to rethink that policy. I bet the costs involved with honoring transfered mower warranties are minimal compared to the people who'll be ticked off to find they're not covered if they buy a used mower.

Would anybody here buy a used car with 10K miles if the warrant wasn't transferable? Same principle applies.

6. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

So if I buy an exmark from a private individual will the warranty that is still in effect be covered through an exmark dealer of my choice? And what is the extra weight for on the back of the lazer hp 52" 23 kaw ? is that a bumper or what ?

7. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

Terry,

Thanks for the update. Now let me get this straight, if you buy a mower that still has the new factory warrantee on it, it is transferable to the new owner. If this is correct that GREAT! Just sold my Turf Tracer HP that I bought in 2002 for a used 2002 Lazer.

OK, what paper work is needed to transfer this warrantee?

Thanks,
    Pete

8. eXmark

Pete,

Your Exmark dealer will need to update the owner information for the unit in question through our new online warranty registration system. All you need is your serial number, model number, name, address and probably a bill of sale couldn't hurt either.

Thanks

Terry

9. tippy

tippy LawnSite Member

Terry at eXmark,
    I'm still interested in knowing the answer to turfman59's question "what is the extra weight for on the back of the lazer hp 52" 23 kaw ? is that a bumper or what ?"

Thank you,
    Brad

10. eXmark

Turf man, Tippy,

Sorry, I quess I missed that one.

The Lazer HP was first built with a 44" and 48" deck. When the 52" was added the additional weight and slight change in length changed the balance of the machine. The added weight is simply there to improve the balance, increase the traction and improve the stability of the 52" model. The combination of weight and balance gives the unit the stability of a much larger machine on hills only is a smaller more maneuverable package.

Thanks

Terry