1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Could this be causing Scrubs???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newbomb, Feb 13, 2005.

1. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

I am reading today "Small Business Opportunies" magazine, March 2005. "75 sure fire money makers". They list 75 home based businesses you can start. Most of the Ideas are Ok but they leave out the important facts like insurance and licenses etc.. They have good ideas but no details. I'm wondering about the $1000 a day to watch TV. I better read that one. Anyway this is what they say about lawn service. Number 10 on the list btw.

They don't offer this gem of advice to any other of their nutty ideas. How would someone with no idea about this business and what it costs to be in business know what a discount price is.

Some of the "ideas" in the magazine sound pretty good, especially as add ons to lawn work. I know enough to know you have to have insurance and so on though. I can't help reading this and thinking they sure leave alot out of the story.

On the plus side for us though, a few more idiots that fail the first year might make people appreciate us more.

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

You don't "HAVE" to have insurance. To the best of my knowledge its not 'required by law'. Actually, the only insurance that is mandatory (in the state of NJ) that I know of is comprehensive auto insurance. Also, if your referring to Workman's comp that is not required if you do not have any employees...as our business does not. Two owners and no employees. But again, it depends on the situation. So...technically speaking they don't need to discuss it as a requirement b/c it simply isn't (referring to G/L).

I would welcome more competition. Keeps me on my toes...I know if I don't perform a quality service at a fair cost the next guy is waiting in line to take it.

Not trying to pick a fight but I hope you are not implying that if someone doesn't make it in the first year they are automatically deemed an 'idiot'. Especially if failure is not making a profit...as I'm sure most of us in this forum did not make a profit our first year or even years.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Most of the people who are reading those mags as serious info are not going to be around long enough to cause anyone a problem. As an idea source or for fun they are great but to get rich.No

Sorry did not get to finish the though.
    I would not worry to much about those newcomers from the get rich quick crowd or their policies.
  5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

As with any business. Everyone starts out by seeing the money. Then they stick their necks out, and see the work involved. By then it's too late, and all we see is another fly by night. They are just silly if they think they can compete with alot of the veterans. It will never happen.

Besides insurance, you need a business license to start off with. The only way you are getting a license is by showing proof of insurance. If you don't have either, don't let me catch you soliciting one of my customers. :)
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

License requirements are local. Here all you need is a $50 bill.
  7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

WOW! That sux. Here you need proof of insurance and the insurance company is required to notify them within 15 days of cancellation of any insurance. You have to take a written test, and submit $500.00 every 2 years. They also run a background test on you. payup
  8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The people that read those magazines are dreamers. They sit around and read about how to "get rich quick" because they're too lazy or too dumb to operate any business. I've seen dozens of wanna be LCO's jump into this business then leave within a few month's. They can't take the physical punishment or the heat. It takes a certain kind of individual to do this work and be good at it. Magazine reading day-dreamers don't fit into the category.
  9. fastpitcher

fastpitcher LawnSite Member
    from PA

Again another person not doing the right thing. It might not be the law to have insurance but when you hit a rock and you will and it goes through someones windshield and with any luck does not hit the driver you might not get sued. The more I read on this site the madder I get. Why can't we as a group just do what we are supposed to do? I just do not get it! Well on the plus side I keep growing because others are screwing up!
  10. PMLAWN

I've been watching for 5 hours since I read your post and I haven't made a dime.