Could this be converted to a mobile office/service vehicle?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Aug 31, 2007.

1. lehrjetmx

lehrjetmx LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

We got a guy up my way that converted one of those into a contractors mobile office. I guess if you got the cash anything can be done.
  2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

plumbers around here convert them to their work trucks all the makes perfect sense, big and open...sure you could put an office in there...and if it has a PTO generator to run the lights and sirens even better
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

My old company has a box truck with outside cabinets like an ambulance as one of the service rigs.
  4. LawnMedic904

LawnMedic904 LawnSite Member

I'm new to this business and only recently stumbled onto this site looking for input on getting into irrigation and soliciting tricks of the trade for veterans in the field. That aside, I have been a paramedic for the last 15 years and have put about a zillion miles on these vehicles.

There are a couple of things you should consider when purchasing a used ambulance:

1. What type of service did it come from. Meaning, an urban/rural or Metro service.
    Rural units that are not typically that busy and sit long enough to get cold, get started cold and ran hard. (which is very hard on a diesel engine). A Metro service will have units running sometimes for days sitting on a post scattered around the larger cities. So take a look at the hour meter as well as the milage.
    2. When you open up the utility hatch there is enough wiring to retro fit a 747. They are prone to have constant electical gremlins. The upside is that you will have a well light, climate controlled moblie enviroment at the worksite.
    3. Some of the things that i have put in the back of my amublance over the years would make a billy goat barf(and myself). If you get one, you DEFINITLLY want to clean the back out with bleach and water before you do anything.

That aside, several contractors in my area use them as service vehicles (sorry fo the long post). Don't want you to get stuck with a lemon.

Oh, Dirt Digger they have'nt used PTO generators on ambulances since the 70's
  5. Rainman7

Rainman7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I had one of those. Install a hitch to tow a spare fuel tanker.:nono:

PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member

Hell ya that's cool,You'll be the IRR-O-MEDIC bringing life back your lawn coming soon to your area!
  7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

How about... Code 3 Irrigation? :)
  8. Thanks for the info. Don't hesitate to come here for advice on irrigation stuff.

PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member

Fimster Landscape Emergency Recovery Unit