Could this spell my demise?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK guys, here are 2 quotes taken from things I've posted in the last few months.
    Basically said the same thing two ways.
    So here they are ready to read...

Now, with that said, I'm trying to stick to this...
    But, I want to be really careful that I do NOT allow this thought process to spell out my demise.

In other words, my words are what they are...
    But I do not want to allow them to adversely affect me.

I don't want to make committments beyond the 2007 season as of now and I would like to freely stand by that so long as I choose to. But I don't want that to sneak in a curve my drive or subconsciously affect my decisions in other areas. I want to go on like this was not the case at all.

So what if anything do you guys suggest?
    Do you think I run a high risk of allowing this to hurt me?
  2. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe you arent going to be in business in 2 years? Are you talking about business contracts, or direction for the company? If you are content where you are at now, there must be a reason for it. Explain a little.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

To be honest with you, I am not sure, and I'm not in any real hurry to find out.

Yes, I am talking about contracts AND direction for the company.

Basically, I don't have any obligations/commitments/contracts beyond 2007.

No, I'm not sure I'm 100% content with where I am today.
    Yes there is a reason for it, as well as a reason I have this thought process going.

To explain a little more, I'm thinking I want to stick to the current 2007 situation right now because frankly, I'm thinking at this point I want to be free to have my options open to most anything and the time between now and then to think, plan and access both the history and a possible future track.

I'd really like to do what I can to make the next 2 years hopefully the best I have had. I guess I want to settle in to a great situation and just put the operation in cruise for a while for a change.

You know... I'd like to settle into a comfortable groove for a while, see some of my best years and take some of my best spoils... then be free to choose at the end with no prevailing obligation.
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I never think or worry about what might be next yr or plan for what might or might not happen. About March I'll start advertizing if i need and want to and by april I'll be working and by May i should have all the work I want/need. Thats seem like the way its alway been and I hope it stays that way. But if not it won't be the end of the world. Always thinking ,worrying, making plans causes stress, and that makes for a miserable life and will kill you.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Absolutely agreeable without question. Also, without question, what you are saying plays some role in this and what I'm getting at.

I don't know how to put exact words to it so everyone else 'gets it' but I know you do.
  6. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

After thinking about this a little, I find myself in the same boat. I am content where i am at now, and really don't have much planned for the next couple years either. I am also in a groove that is pretty smooth right now regarding the lawn service. Future plans are more along the line of getting married, gettin' some land and expanding my agricultural pursuits, all this will be subsidized by the lawn service. Envy Lawn Care, I like the way you think, it does relieve alot of stress. I am trying to live life in the most laid back manner possible without being outright lazy or lacking some vision. 5 years ago I wanted to be where I am right now, so here I am. I guess contentment would be the right word.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Ahhh.... so The Cowboy 'get's it' about this part too then...
  8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I gotta admit, I am lost. I read your initial post (above) and then re-read it and I can't make heads nor tails of what you are trying to say.

Something about having commitments until 2007 and your words will be the end of you??? Sorry, maybe I'm a dummy. But I just don't get the question.
  9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I can see my self in the next two years with a Restaurant Franchise. That way my oldest can run it and send money to Florida So i can get on the next cruise:p .

Do you want Fry's with that LOLOLOL

10. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with JIM!! What!! just kidding . I think I get it that this is unusual for you NOT to be planning . Maybe its the end of the season and your just on a break from running the biz. Most entrepreneurial people are always thinking of new ways to make money but everyone needs a break. I planned on cutting back last year and working less. I was pleasantly surprised that I made almost as much money by taking on more PROFITABLE work than just more work. Diversify your services some and you'll find that competitive edge and drive again because its new. Or just enjoy the fact that you've reached a plateau where you can just show up and make money without thinking about it. Enjoy that comfort zone. I am probably way off on this dime store analysis!!