could use a littl help

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by french's lawn care, Mar 16, 2008.

1. french's lawn care

french's lawn care LawnSite Member

I was asked to clean up a recently renovated rental prop which had some stumps ground out and the chips were left there are some ruts in the yard and is in just overall not good condition. i have raked the whole yard patched the ruts and am ready to prep it for spring, what should i do as far as seeding and fert? thanks for the help !

2. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

Soil test would be the first thing you need to do. See what type of ph your dealing with and what type of available nutrients are in the soil. Check with your local Extension Office to see what type of turf is best for your climate and soil conditions. Good Luck.

3. Midstate Lawncare

Midstate Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

If the existing, un-damaged lawn is in good shape, match the seed you plant(aeration and overseeding is inexpensive and works just as good as slit-seeding) to the existing turf type and apply starter fertilizer to the entire lawn (even it out) and make sure it gets ample water(germination is important :rolleyes:). ph doesn't change that much in lawns unless there is lime stone bedrock up hill from you (too alkaline) or there is a lot of oak trees in the area (tanic acid). Other than that, you should be good.

4. french's lawn care

thanks for the advice, how soon after seeding should i apply the fert ?

5. Midstate Lawncare

Midstate Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

This is just the way that I have found works for me...( works good too) after any ruts/holes are repaired, aerate the lawn north-south then east-west (if able to.... if not just repeat pass on top of one you just made) The goal with double-aeration is to get more than 8 holes per square foot. I would then broadcast seed mixture to the lawn (alot of seed) and then fertilizer (2-6 lbs. per 1000 ft2) then ample water. THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!!! Do not guarantee unless there is some way you can guarantee the customer will water!. My minimum for this - especially using so much seed (3-8 lbs. per 1000 ft2) is $250.00 period. I have several lined up this spring and make a lot per hour. you can pm me if you have more questions.

6. french's lawn care

thanks alot for the help i really don't do much of that i am more of a mow and blow kind of business currently but want to learn to seed and fert for future expansion so in the begining of the year when i am not busy i take little jobs like this to keep me busy and learn thanks again for the help very much appreciated.