Could use some advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Luck, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Turf Luck

Turf Luck LawnSite Member

I'm just getting started in the business, bought my equipment today as a matter of fact, and I could use some advice on a couple of things. First of all, I'm wondering if I should shell out the $2,200 for a bagging system now for my SCAG Tiger Cub or will I be able to get any business with the Hurricane mulching system already in place. I definitely plan on getting the bagging system this fall to bag leaves. Secondly, I was wondering if I need to get written contracts for all residential jobs. I've heard from a friend in the business that this scares customers away when you come at them with a year contract, but if your work is good, they will keep using you (verbal agreement). Also, any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure on your equipment, someone will answer your post, as far as the contracts I found that customers in my area shy away from having to sign anything that has to do with lawn care, so I am just using verbal methods, I have not been don't this very long, but had to add my 2 cents!! :)

3. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

I have always used a contract only I label it an agreement. I explain to my customers that it explains everything that is included and the price for a specific service, it prevents any misunderstandings down the road. It also explains my policies on late payments and terms for payment.

4. Turf Luck

Turf Luck LawnSite Member

Anybody else?

5. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome Turf Luck! Cant answer on the leaf collector/bagger. I am not using contracts (would one hold up on residential anyway?? and would it worth fighting if they tried to get out of it???) and why would you force somebody to keep using you if they are not happy??? You do open the door for the low ballers this way, but they usually end up cutting their own throat (dont show up, get too busy, etc.) and if you did a good job they will call you back (at a higher rate of course). An agreement is ok to explain the terms, or a policy sheet.

6. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

exactly what i do, "contract" is a scary word. "Agreement" is much more friendly sort of speak. I just have them sign it so they have to pay and down the road i don't get screwed.

7. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

In regards to the collection system, I would wait and get in in the fall.

I call my "contracts" "service agreements", becasue I think it sounds less intimidating. Basically for residentials the service agreement will say what will be provided and at what price, and detail payment instrutions, it can also include clauses to relieve you from liability ie. not responsible for damage to sprikler heads or items left on turf. For residentials service agreements or contracts are not always nessesary, but are nice to have.