could use some direction on this one.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Element Property Mgmt, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Element Property Mgmt

Element Property Mgmt LawnSite Member

So heres what im looking at.
    There is a major downhill flowage into a potential customers yard.
    currently there is a 12" catch basin with 4" connectors at the top edge of his property and im assuming a french drain underneath all of the river rock.
    he tells me the water runs right past the catch basin and it pretty much does not work, and he also tells me he would like to remove all of the river rock to regain a bit of his yard.

so the water is too much/running right past a 12" basin and or the whole drain system is clogged up.

i have personally done some drainage work but not much with french drains, not that i cant but i have some questions about where to go from here.
    i have been told that if you try to do a french drain underneath grass, it will dry out the grass too much. what is the truth to this is it going to kill the seed/sod or is there a trick to it?

if i end up not going the french drain route i thought about adding an extra basin and setting up both basins with an extra drain outside the backside of the hill.

or maybe a combination of both... what would you guys do?

IMG_20140408_164923_228smaller.jpg

IMG_20140408_165053_552smaller.jpg

IMG_20140408_165107_042smaller.jpg

IMG_20140408_165158_625smaller.jpg

overhead.jpg

2. Element Property Mgmt

this is my idea to fix it without the french drain.

proposal.jpg

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I've dealt with a few of these. The question is, where is the water coming from? Sub-surface, gutters or surface?

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I would consult a civil engineer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Mike Leary

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

7. Mike Leary

8. dieselfuel

dieselfuel LawnSite Member

How much water is there? I just met with a potential client tonight and recommended some drainage but also a rain garden. I don't want to consult with a civil engineer and there are a lot of utilities on this property so I may pass on it, but it's a great spot to put in a rain garden.

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Why wouldn't you want to consult with a civil? Most will meet for a consultation for $150 - 200 bucks. Shoot I get my iron schedules from one for $50 a stamp. Drainage issues can be in the millions if not addressed properly the first time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Element Property Mgmt

The whole subdivision is on a hill maybe 300-400 feet height difference from top to bottom and all of the backyards drain into this flowage. So it is surface water that is channeled downhill like a river.

Also I'm going to opt out of the civil English idea because to actually install a fix would only profit me maybe $3-400.
    Posted via Mobile Device