Could use some help????????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by StihlGreen, Jan 17, 2008.

1. StihlGreen

StihlGreen LawnSite Member
    from us

New to the game!! At the moment I am working on purchasing my equipment!
    My question is: For smaller properties when the ZTR is too big, do any of you use a rider other than a walk behind? I have a 17.5 HP 44" Toro rider that I mostly use on my 3/4 acre home lot.

Is it unprofessional, and should I get the Walk behind for my smaller lots?
    Thanks for the help!!

(below is my rider)

Attached Files:

• toro.bmp
      File size:
      99.7 KB
      Views:
  2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

How big are the lawns in your area? That will dictate what you'll need as far as mowers go.

3. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

any lot you can use that 44'' rider on you can use a ztr on it.. for the yards to small for the rider or a Z i would use the WB

4. StihlGreen

StihlGreen LawnSite Member
    from us

And it would not be un-professional? Meaning is it common for Lawncare companys to use one?

5. tknoel

tknoel LawnSite Member

Stihlgreen,
    I started up last season part-time. Here is my reflection. I used my 20HP 42" rider for big lots and my 21" Toro for everything else. I started with a 5x8 trailer. I spent the rest of my start up money on a cheap handheld blower and a decent trimmer. I did well enough that I am looking to add a Quick 36 this year. I am also going to upgrade my blower and add a stick edger(Lesson Learned). I would definitely spend whatever money on good commercial blowers, edgers and trimmers to start. Get a decent trailer that you will not out grow in less than a year(Lesson Learned). My new 6X12X2 is a very good size. Easy to pull and carries everything and the some. I would also look to advertising. This can be very difficult because the old saying of everything works and nothing works comes to mind. I used local newspapers and had limited success for a fairly significant outlay. Build your client base. Talk to everyone about what you are doing and add as you need.

Good Luck

6. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

7. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Get urself a Quick 36...or 32 then you won't have to worry about gates either. I use a Z and a Quick and Ive never had to even look twice at my 21" THANK GOD!

8. VMS

VMS LawnSite Member

I would go with a 32" or 36" tops for gated properties,be sure to measure deck width before you buy.

9. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

If you don't want to walk, another option is a 36" stander for inside the gates. The Toro tractor will be too slow. Sell the Toro to a homeowner, use the cash to get a WB or stander.

10. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

You can use the Toro for awhile if you have more time than money. It is slower for sure, but more than likely the phone won't be ringing off the wall right away. 80% of the people won't care at all. Those that care will be asking their friends to recommend a seasoned LCO for them. The Toro looks presentable enough. The grass does not care. Your rider with sharp blades and good spindles will leave a better cut than a commercial z with dull blades.

You want to get a z, you got to get a z, you may want to buy a z this Saturday, but you don't have to buy a z immediately. You should control when you make the purchase, and not worry about looking like the guy who has been at it a decade and has the best of everything.