Could you do me a favor please?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mulchmaster, Apr 9, 2010.

1. mulchmaster

mulchmaster LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Here is the deal, I received a call about a week ago form a guy asking about some patio work. Well long story short he has an existing brick patio now (set over an old concrete pad) that needs to be replaced. I worked up a price to remove the old patio and lay a new one (910) sf. My cost for the pavers/bricks is $3.22 sf.

I have been in the business for 13 years and have done a handfull of hardscape jobs and always feel like I don't charge enough. This time I let my dad work up the quote and although I thought it was on the high side we ran with it, and after meeting with the homeowner I am quite sure he feels the same way.

Since I already worked up a price, would one of you give me a rough idea what you would charge to do this job? I am not asking for anything exact, but mabey a price range, so I have a better idea next time.

Also we have pleanty of work right now and it really doesn't matter if we get the job or not.

Thanks in advance, Andrew

2. Budlightshooter

Budlightshooter LawnSite Member

13k if you lay on top of the existing concrete and 20k if you have to relay on gravel to standards

3. Meezer

Meezer LawnSite Senior Member

Andrew,

What did your dad come up with???

4. brickpuller

brickpuller Banned

Assuming 160 hours of labor. Four guys, four days 10 hrs per day with excavation between $14,500.00 and $16,000.00.

5. OutdoorCreations

OutdoorCreations LawnSite Member

$13,900 to $16,300 depending on access for a total redo

6. mulchmaster

mulchmaster LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Well I knew it, I haven't been charging enough! :hammerhead:

My dad came in at just over 13k, but thought it should be a bit higher. In all honesty, I was quite a bit less. :confused:

My dad said he wanted to take over bidding these larger jobs and I wasn't sure what to think, I guess it can't hurt anything.

Thanks so much, Andrew

7. traderfjp

traderfjp LawnSite Member

It's better to work for less than sit home and honor prices that may not be realistic in this economy.

8. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

if you cannot cover your overhead then you should just stay home.

I'm not in business to go broke slowly.

9. traderfjp

traderfjp LawnSite Member

I agree but sometimes you can't get 10.00 a foot but if you can make money on 7.00 then why not negotiate.

10. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

if you make money at 7 then charging 10 would be a 30% profit which would be a great marging in any economy.