1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Could you spare a little advice?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Signature Services, May 7, 2004.

1. Signature Services

Signature Services LawnSite Member

Hey guys, could you spare a little advice to a guy trying to get business? I know about word of mouth, flyers, commercial advertising, etc. Think way back to when you first started and tell me which method worked best for you then and even now.
    I can't seem to get a hold of anyone to let me do the work. I have quoted a couple but no committments. Is it too late in the season? (Southeast).
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Your post has the " Hey buddy can you spare a little change"ring to it, but I will give it a try anyway.

First of all, do you have the equipment to do the job right ?

Do you look professional? I.E. no testicles hanging from cut-off shorts. Vehicle in reasonable shape? The image thing can not be overstated.

Having said this, I can honestly tell you that I have never advertised in any way and am currently turning down work due to time constraints. Every single client I have has been through word-of-mouth. I think this is the number one reason that I am scrub proof. No amount of lowballing has ever cost me a client.

If there is work to be done in your area, and you aren't getting any, you are either over-priced or you are projecting the wrong image.
  3. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

My wife said to tel you to give it more time. seems reasonable to me. I don't know how much you invested for how long but hind site is 20/20. expect no mercy. atleast your not working your azz of every day losing money on every account,paying 25% interest for 3 yrs for the wrong equipment,being over charged for insurence and working in the rain and getting ready to go belly up like some other people in this business. And you thought you had problems. At least you know your in trouble, most don't. Good Luck!
  4. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

When I first started, the fastest way to get new business was with a nice flyer, then word of mouth, tell all your customers to tell their friends and so on. I started out with about 10 accounts that way and have quickly gone up to almost 60 this year, mainly from flyers and word of mouth ( references ) Good work also will speak for itself and bring in tons of more work. Good luck
  5. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Walk the walk and talk the talk. Only advertising I have ever done is 10,000 fliers my first year in biz had a company print them and mail them to a list of address I provided. Since then it has been word of mouth. I turn away jobs everyday
  6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I think I have to agree.
  7. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

My first job was freebie's for family, then I got the neighbor, then so on. Advertised once in the beginning in addition to the above. Keep in mind,the freebies weren't big lawns, just giving me exposure on crowded blocks.
  8. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

When i first started i was in 8th grade. I mowed about 2 a week and made about $900 total that summer. Year later age 15 I had about 8 yards a week. And this year age 16 I am up to 22 a week. For me It took time. I put out flyers on doors about index card size with magnet strips on the back. Many people save these and stick them on their fridge rather than just tossing out a peice of paper. Word of mouth also has helped me out a lot. I am only putting out about 500 flyers. Good luck
  9. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I thought my testicles hanin out was getting me jobs...lol that was well said locutus. The only maintenance jobs Ive ever picked up by advertisment was when it was for areation and they hired me for weekly care also...all word of mouth for me, but it takes time
  10. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I run an ad in the paper every day of the week. I spend $140/month on the ad, but can expect an average of 3 calls a week from that. I've also landed 5 new maintenance accounts, and 2 landscaping jobs this season from my website which I had listed through the BellSouth yellow pages. That costs me $30/month. All-in-all, it's money well spent. If you want to grow a business you have to let people know you exist.