1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Couldn't beleive what I was hearing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GLLawns, Oct 8, 2007.

1. GLLawns

GLLawns LawnSite Member

Couple days ago I'm at this ladies house doing a small cleanup and her regular weekly cut. She comes out and says that she wants me to start coming back every 10 days like I used to 2 years ago. I told her sorry but we no longer do bi-weekly cuts and it is not an option. She then proceeds to tell me that I came 5 times last month and that was not acceptable, she also says that I need to come 1 time per week =4 times per month. I say 1 time per week last month =5 cuts, she says thats not possible since there is only 4 weeks per month. I try to explain to her that sometimes coming 1 x per week, it works out to be 5 times in a month it just depends on how early in the month our first cut is. She then turns her thoughts to my cleanup, she ask me how much I am charging per hour for it. I tell her that info is normally not given to customers but this time I would tell her. Tell her for that her price is $45 per hour:eek: she says what, you shouldn't be making that much per hour blowing leaves around. At this point I'm ready to explode, I politely ask her, well your husbands a doctor right? She says well yes, I in turn tell her well I don't think we should have to pay him $150.00 for a 2 minut visit. I don't think he should be averaging $3000.00 + per hour for what he does. She looks at me in amazement and says he has to pay taxes and insurance ect...I ask her do you think that my insurance is free and that I don't pay taxes? Then I proceed to tell her that she can accept my prices or not, go ahead and find someone else if my works not worth it to you. She says you do great work but your too high on price and your taking advantage of me with your billing. At this point I'm done with her, she is off my list for next year. It's a darn shame she has been with us for 3 years now.
  2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad to see you stood your ground.
  3. weeble67

weeble67 LawnSite Senior Member

Likewise. I am glad to see you stood your ground. I bet she was amazed when you tossed it back at her about her husband charging too much money.
  4. advantage landscaping

advantage landscaping LawnSite Member

Nobody seems to notive that charging 45/hr doesn't meen you are MAKING 45/hr. Damn people... Good ones are so hard to find...
  5. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

You don't have to justify, or explain your income to anyone.

However, the trust with your customer is broken now, if there ever was one, and I find that at that point is best to part ways. I wouldn't wait to drop them.

Whenever somebody start questioning my rates, I know is over. Very politely I thank them for the opportunity to earn their business and move on.
  6. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

I only see one mistake.

She would be off my list for the rest of this year also.
  7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

This is what pisses me off the most about this line of work. Alot of customers think we just pocket eveything we make and don't pay out for taxes, insurance, payroll, and all the other expenses. There are just too many in business that don't pay these expenses and some customers think we are all alike.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It never ceases to amaze me, either.
  9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I do the same thing with my customers. whenever the issue of price comes up, I try to put it into thier terms. whatever they do, etc. I did a bid for a lady last year for Christmas Lights, and the price was around 1100 bucks or so for a $750,000 house.

she absolutly flipped on the price, so I politely asked about the porsche cayenne SUV in the driveway. at 90,000 dollars, what is the difference between that car and a ford explorer at 30,000 ? both provide transportation? but one is a much higher quality than the other, and only a few can afford it. If you want the best quality, it costs more.

Most wealthy folks, they don't like being pointed out they are wrong and they are wealthy enough to afford a 90,000 car. or a 750,000 dollar house. wealthy people seem to have a mistrust of everyone as if we are trying to rip them off. If they run the numbers in thier head and you are making close to 10% of what they make ( probably in excess of 250,000 per year )you are too expensive.
  10. scalpit77

scalpit77 LawnSite Member

Good riddance.