1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Counted 25, new "grass cutters" today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nosparkplugs, Apr 22, 2008.

1. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Although I try to be postive, What has happened to the industry, I guess today really got to me while I was out just so many "new" folks trying to make it in this buisness, I was like wow! I saw maybe? three, of what I call professional LCO, with commercial equipment the rest was nothing but, Home Depot or Sears equipment, and guys that looked cluless on what the hell their doing from the mini toyota trucks or cars with hitch's and MTD tractors hanging out the bed with ramps?, to their Ryobi muti-task weedeater? No wonder When I quote a price over the Phone, customers are saying they already found some else to cut their grass for $25.00. Just like every season this will to come to an end, these guys will fold or it gets to hot for them to work, but this all gives the green industry a black eye. Have some respect for your business

I'm going to say it, Some grass cutters with their cheap Home Depot equipment are nothing more than: Lawn Care prostitutes selling their cheap tricks.
  2. I look at those people with a mower in the back as potential customers. Maybe they're going across town to mow their widowed mother's lawn. Or they're going to mow a rental property they own. Maybe their vacation cottage down by the river needs mowed.
  3. Ford2000

Ford2000 LawnSite Member

I see new Companys ( or people wanting to cut grass ) on Craigslist seems like everyday it's unbelievable.
  4. woodbutcher44

woodbutcher44 LawnSite Member

Craigs list serves its purpose.
    I'm what you call a lowballer . But I'm insured own all my equipment and truck.No payments.
    So yes I can afford to do a lawn for less than some others. And earn alot more than I would working for another.
    I do take pride In my work.I even get tips here and there.I get referrals and my calendar is filling up.
    So your idea that because I'm cheaper than you I do crappy work is wrong.
    While you wait for new customers, I am working
    I make 3 quick nickels to your one slow dime.
  5. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

Does the quality of work there doing with that HD equip really compare with what you can do. If so maybe you should reevaluate your business.
  6. woodbutcher44

woodbutcher44 LawnSite Member

I have commerical equipment Its used .And does just fine.
    I'm fairly new to lawn service, It was a choice that had to be made in haste.
    I've done what I had to to provide for my Family. At this point I am SLOWLY improving the scale to witch I charge My clients.
    But no matter how well I do I will never have payments that force me to work to the point of missing my children growing up,or worring if it rains for a week strait am I going to be able to make the payment.
    I am one man STARTING A BUSINESS and doing it the best that I can with bad credit .
    Get over it .
  7. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

:cry: And Wal-mart is a price prostitute compared to Macy's.....but pulling in a higher profit. :rolleyes:

Somebody run and get some tissue.

This is the easiest line of work to get in to, why not take your tractor and charge 30 a yard....better than working part time for $6.50 to make ends meet. That's what I did....and that's how I started. (Thanks Lawnsite....now I'm running local guys out of business)

Now go blow your nose and dry your eyes. Mowing grass is right beside McDonalds worker on the job skill level.

8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

woodbutcher, I think ChadA was pointing the remark to "no sparkplugs" who made the thread. I think your doing just fine.
  9. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I'm happy that you are making money, but I wonder: Do you really know your costs??!!

Just because your truck and equipment is "paid for" does not mean it's free or doesn't have inherent associated costs. For example, if you're not considering the costs of these items, what is your plan for when it us worn out and no longer usable and you've made no accounting or plans to replace it? Just a thought.
  10. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

How I look at lowballers is if the Market will pay $50 for a lawn but I only bid $35 then that is lowballing.

After you know what the market will bear and compare it to your costs (including replacement costs) that would be your profit margin that you can sustain for a long period of time. You'll be able to increase your profit margin by targeting the right accounts and trimming your costs.

By charging less you are wrecking the market. The lowballer that has a low operating cost can make huge margins if they charged market prices.

For the person with everything paid for what is your cost to drive per mile including gas, insurance, oil changes, repairs, and replacement cost. I calculated the cost of operating my truck at 20,000 miles a year and it ended up being 51 cents per mile. If I added replacement cost of the truck every 5 years on a $30,000 truck it would be an extra 35 cents per mile.