Country Clipper 1/4" cutting height adjustment

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mowhigh, Aug 28, 2004.

1. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

One of the few features that I found lacking on the CCs was the 1/4" height increment found on some other makes. I like to 'mowhigh' and it didn't give me much room to raise the cut as the summer heat/drought kicked in. I thought about replacing the cutting height lever brackets with redrilled ones but it seemed like too much work (I was sold on the CC because of its easier/simpler use and maintenance). I decided that if I could get a piece of pipe just short enough to fit between the brackets (about 2" at the narrower top) and slip over the adjustment pin (or whatever it's called) it would raise the cut a little more than the thickness of the pipe. I had no luck finding anything with a 1/2" inside diameter (to slide over the pin) and a 1" outside diameter (resulting in a 1/4" thickness). What I ended up doing was taking a 1/2" I.D. pvc section and forcing it (couple of taps with a rubber mallet) into a larger 1" O.D. pvc and cutting it to fit between the brackets. It worked well, but wasn't easy to hold with a gloved hand when making adjustments in the field. A duct tape flap provided an easy 2-finger hold. Thought I'd share this with all the other CC converts and ask what shortcuts others have been thinking about?