Country Clipper vs. JD

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by amobcp, Jun 8, 2004.

1. amobcp

amobcp LawnSite Member

I think i have narrowed my ztr down to a Country Clipper or JD. Ant input would be helpful!!!
  2. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i would relook like exmark grasshopper scag ferris etc
  3. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

JD gear is rock solid.. great parts network and dealers are awsome (at least mine is :)
  4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I second that motion!

5. I third that motion. Just bought my first JD, a 757 and I LOVE it. Cuts beautifully, Has good power (25hp kawi) good speed and a good price, $7600,tax and mulch kit included.I've had it a month now, put 120 hrs on it and so far so good.:D
  6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i can't find anything newer than 2002 on country clippers site. maybe i am looking at the wrong page?
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

So tell me, just how well does the 7-Iron deck mulch with the kit? I have always wanted to know. Also do you have any pictures of the kit? If not, a discription?

Now between the two, many have sung praises for JD. So I will point out that the Country Clipper has some very nice features. The primary ones I can think of off the top of my head are...

-Very nice deck
    -Flip up deck for cleaning/service
    -Beefy wedged deflector on discharge chute to prevent damage
    -Pivoting front axle
    -Deck attached to axle for contour cut/pivoting deck
    -Nice big tires
    -Protected single fuel tank
    -Drive tires visible from operator seat due to tank placement
    -Standard suspension seat (except for Charger model)
    -Nice comfy twin sticks with boots on the bottom at the frame

The only things I didn't like about the Country Clipper was the joystick version. The twin stick is great. The other would be the jagged cut and welded spindle reinforcement plate on the under side of the deck. It looks like they take no pains in cutting a piece for that and it makes a rough spot on the underside of the deck that would catch stuff and not be easy to scrape. I can see no reason why they shouldn't just double the entire deck top or use a really thick single piece of steel if they want it that strong. Then atleast the under side would be smooth. Hopefully that is what they are doing with the new models now.
  8. protouchlawn

protouchlawn LawnSite Member

The mulch kit for my 757 should be here any day. I will try to snap pics before I install it.
  9. protouchlawn

protouchlawn LawnSite Member

Go with the 757. You will not be disappointed, and getting parts and service should be easy in your area. I lived in Kansas for 4 years and there is green and yellow all over the Plains!!!
  10. bantam

bantam LawnSite Member
    from iowa

Envy Lawn Service, It would seem to me that the Two thickness of 10 guage steel are thicker than one thickness of 7 guage. (50% thicker I think). I would put up with an edge under the deck for that much difference in strength.