1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

country clipper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jlahr, Feb 6, 2007.

1. jlahr

jlahr LawnSite Member

has anyone out there ever used a country clipper zero turn, and if so, what do you think of the machine
  2. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

If you would like to read up on Country Clipper mowers, you can do a "search". Just type in "country clipper" in the search section. There are several other threads that disscuss this mower.

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

I played with a 30hp 72" boss today and was suprissed at how clean it mowed! I put it in some 10"-15" thick grass and cut it clean in one pass. It was very impressive.
  4. gro2mow

gro2mow LawnSite Member

I have a 25hp Charger with 60" deck. I just use it on my 2 acre yard which I have reclaimed the field to make lawn. Cuts beautifully, never scalps, and hold 35-40 degree hills horizontally. The joystick is great manuvering under trees while lifting the branches. On hills the joystick in one hand and a brace handle in the other makes a really secure seating position.

Deck cleaning and sharpening is a breeze with the tilt up deck. Runs about 1.25 gallons per hour. And no ROPS what could be better. Center of gravity is so low you would never need it. Gas tank is located under the seat not beside you.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You would do very well just to be able to walk on a slope that steep much less run a Z...or even a hydro WB for that matter :rolleyes:
  6. gro2mow

gro2mow LawnSite Member

Prior to the Charger I had a DR 46" WB. I had to lock both wheels prior to mowing this and it was a ***** to mow, let alone walk on horizontally. It's a piece of cake on the Charger.

If a right angle is 90 degrees and half of that is 45 degrees. Two thirds of that is 30 degrees, it's steeper than that. I mow areas that a 21" WB used to slide right off. I don't think it could be mowed with twin sticks. The fixed bracing handle in my left hand makes all the difference.

Never once has it given the impression of going over. I don't think it could because the deck is wider than the track.
  7. gro2mow

gro2mow LawnSite Member

My apologies. My figures are high. I took a tape measure out and measured the amount of drop and the hypoteneuse (slope) and inputted them into Pythagorean Theorem Calculator at www.1728.com/pythgorn.htm.

My upper back slope angle was only 19.5 degrees. The slope around the septic infiltrator field tops out at 22.5 degrees (pictured) and the slope at the end of my driveway tops out at 27.9 degrees.

The one at the end of the driveway is only about 15' wide. So the thrill ride isn't very long. Over the infiltrator field it's less steep, but you must make a left turn and head up while cocked to the right side and mowing downhill. You really have to watch the throttle and make sure you don't have any momentum heading into the turn or it's right down the hill. I've learned you can't go down the hill and turn right, only up to left. The upper back slope is just about 120' feet wide and can be done in about six passes.

Sorry, I didn't have my facts straight. It just feels like a lot steeper while mowing.

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Best hillside mower I have ever been on was a charger with a 60" deck and twin steering!
  9. gro2mow

gro2mow LawnSite Member

Attach are two photos which I couldn't get to upload yesterday. One is the upper slope (19.5 degrees) and the other is looking up from the infiltrator field (22.5 degrees).

10. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I was thinking the same thing,lol. My Gravely says no more than a 17 degree slope and I've been on slopes that are about 20-25 degree's and its a little scary, luckily I have an exit and there not very long, maybe 30ft.