country clipper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chariot1964, Aug 6, 2004.

1. chariot1964

chariot1964 LawnSite Member

Has anybody tried out any of those country clippers mowers yet, wondering how they are comparing with the other brand names.

2. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a trailer dealer had them a will back did not think much of mower being sold a trailer place. It was in durham NC of us70. You know you need service and some one to be there down the road.

3. Sneaky

Sneaky LawnSite Member

I bought a country clipper a few months back. I have no complaints. Especially like the stand up deck.

4. snakeblademan

snakeblademan LawnSite Member

I bought a Zeton 25 hp with a 60" deck used with 118 hours on it about a month ago. So far I'm very please with it. Cuts much better than my John Deere 425 aws. It's also much faster than the JD. It has a joy stick rather than levers and I like this feature.
    It doesn't windrow the grass like the JD. I think the blades turn quite a bit faster on the Zeton. Another thing I like about it is it weighs around 1000 pounds, which is much lighter than some ZTR's. I have several low spots that have standing water after a good rain. It is light enough to go through them without getting stuck. The tires are much larger (wider) than the JD and I think it spreads the weight out over a wider area. My Zeton also has the suspension seat that you can adjust for your weight. Rides much smoother than the JD. Cuts much taller grass than the JD. I'm very please with the Zeton, especially for the price I paid for it compared to new ZTR's.

5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Snake, how much did your Clipper cost?

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, they are very nice units, no doubt. I liked the flip up deck. The only thing I did not like was the way they weld in that ragged edge metal for spindle reinforcement. Plenty strong, just could be better done to create a smooth surface deck top.

I tried the Zeton series. They were very expensive here when I was looking. Since, at another dealer I've seen the new Charger which seems to be very well priced, just not as easy on the eyes as the Zeton color scheme is all.

I got pretty confused though and left feeling leary of the Charger. The Zeton's I looked at a few years ago were nearing 9K. The Charger was priced at a bit over 6K. Only diferences I immediately saw/remembered was the paint scheme difference, fuel fill location and lack of suspension seat.

I was left with a BIG HUMMMMM......????.....

Was the other dealer trying to rape me on the Zeton or is there some big difference I missed?

7. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

The Charger is essentially Zeton components on the smaller/lighter JAZee frame. My 23/52 weighs about 750 (and gets through wet areas in which the heavier Scag bogs down). Just added the mulching kit and very pleased so far (the deck is actually cleaner at the end of the day). The joystick felt strange the first couple of times, but I'll never go back. The only drawback for me is the lack of deck overhang (due to the 24x12 tires) which wasn't a problem on the 60" deck I demoed. The flip-up deck is great and the pivoting front axle handles tall curbs easily. It seems more powerful than my JD and I've used it in unmowed areas that I thought would need to be brush-hogged. It didn't hurt my wallet too much, either - - under $5900.

8. snakeblademan

Mark, I paid $4200 for the Zeton with 118 hours on it.

9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

anyone got a link for them? last time i looked at their page it had specs for 2001 models.

10. snakeblademan