1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

county contracts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tigby, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Tigby

Tigby LawnSite Member

can someone give me some guidance in where to find out the county mowing bids for mine, and surrounding counties? any help would be greatly appreciated
  2. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I'll be watching this one like a hawk! That is a good question.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

For my county, it's the Purchasing Division.
  4. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

In my area they are generally posted in the newspapers, or anounced at town meetings. Specific companies are not notified by mail, so everyone has an equal opportunity to bid. It is a sealed bid deal that is later anounced at the next town meeting and in the local newspapers.
  5. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

If it's handled like ours, call the Public Works department and find out how to get on the bid list (it also can be handled in Purchasing as Bob mentioned). It generally involves filling out an application. They will call you when the contract comes up for bid.
  6. Tigby

Tigby LawnSite Member

thanks to everyone who replied, i got the person's name today that handles it for our county. are there any major differences in competing for county bids than any other commercial bids?
  7. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

In WV is a pain in the butt. First of all the state charges you to be put on the list. The bids have to be exatcly the way they want them and so on. And then of coarse the govenor's son gets the contract for 4 times what it's worth.

If you have an "in" with the town/county you might luck out. Another problem I've ran into with the older towns is that they already have their own crews. Even though I've job costed the whole thing out for them to show that they would save money in the budget by contacting it out, they don't want to give up their authority over the employees. I't makes them feel specialy to waste our hard earned tax $
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

There's no fee's to bid in my county. Also, the absolute lowest bidder gets the contract. Every bid -including the losers are made public.