coupkle of exmark metro questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snapper, Jan 23, 2006.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

First since the metros are belt, how well do the ecs controls work? Is it similiar to the pistol style? secondly, i know to change heigth you must move the axle and the front caster spacers. How much height can you change with just the front caster spacers and not get it out whack?(like 1/2" or what) I am considering the exmark metro 48 and the gravely pro g 48. I like the ecs on the exmark, but dont like the heigth adjustment. I like the heigth adjustment on the gravely but it only has the pistol grips. I assume the quality of cut will be similiar?? So comments on the ecs vs belt, exmark height adjustment, and gravely vs exmark cut quality, build quality, ease of operation..

LAteer guys!!

2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The ECS has latch working as park, neutral, drive, all you do is moving those latches accordingly similar to pistol grip operating by thumb fingers. ECS on belt system is a lot different on hydro system cause hydro ECS you just use the latches as locking for neutral. I won't buy the Metro, I think belt walk is wasting your money as you WILL UPGRADE as long as you do this line of work.
    Why don't get and learn the hydro from the get going?
    Yes, fix deck is like that changing height, even blades all pain in the butt. I am not impressed with any cut by Gravely mowers, but I used to own a 36" metro so I can say that the cut is very smooth and nice, but the bigger deck of 52" and 60" are the best cut of eXmark.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ive got one, changing the height with the castor spacings is a piece of cake. The ECS is extremely comfortable. Of course you would like a hydro better but, im responding to your question, you will like this machine.

4. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the same deck on my toro proline and just changing caster shims adjusts cut height approx. 1/4 " per shim my axle set up gives me 2.5" of cut with all shims on the top of the caster and 3.75 with all shims under. So it is just over a 1/4 per shim. I cut most lawns at the highest setting and a few with 2 shims on top and 2 under that cuts at approx 3". Make sure and check your tire pressures regularly as they greatly effect cut height. Measure your own cut heights on a flat surface with a tape measure with tires properly inflated

5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Exmark Metros don't change height by changing the spacers on the blade bolts anymore? My 48" Metro is over 10 years old, but we change the height on it by moving the washers on the blade bolts.

6. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

how often do most adjust their height? How how does the exmark vs gravely cut? which is better? or are they about similiar?

Later guys!!

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You can change the height by moving the spacers from top to bottom on the blades.

There are 2 ways to change the height of blades on a Exmark Metro. You can either move the 1/4" washers on the blades or you can move the 1/2" spacers on the casters. The axle adjustment is only for pitch adjustment. If you move the spacers on the casters it will change the pitch depending on how many spacers you move.

I think it is best to set the axle so it is at 1/2" pitch at your normal mowing height and then move the spacers on the casters to increase the height of cut if needed. I never noticed any difference in cut by increasing pitch up to 1/2". You need to remember that the thickness of the caster spacer moved only changes pitch by about 50% so you can add 2 caster spacers for a total of 1" increase in cutting height to make the pitch flat. The area I did notice a difference in cut was if there weren't enough 1/4" spacers on the blades at the bottom. If I removed more than 2 then my Metro used to start missing grass.