Couple crews + owner in the field at work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by velocicaur, Feb 11, 2006.

1. velocicaur

velocicaur LawnSite Member

For example, you have 3 crews consisting of 2 guys each. You then, as the owner, keep track of numbers and answer the phone, etc. However, does anyone have a couple crews and then join them in the field for 40-50hrs a week and then do the paperwork afterwards/after hours. Therefore, you would have 3 crews, 2 guys, but you'd had 5 employees instead of 6.

It would kind of be like a solo operation, doing the actual work and all the paperwork, however, it would be on a larger scale.

Does anyone have any input on this? I figure it'd be 50 hours of lawn work and another 20 hours, aka weekend, on the side. Looking at 70/hrs week - does that seem somewhat accurate and feasible?

Just thinking.

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Have you thought about you working in the feild to be that 6th man working labor, and then hiring a secretary for the day to answer phones and do paperwork?

3. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i figure my time is way more valuable than $12 an hour working in the field!!

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Your time wouldn't be $12 / hour. It would be whatever your company decides to pay you.

Whether you're sitting in your office collecting a paycheck for $12 / $15 / $60 / hour or $500 / $1000 / $2000 a week, or on a mower, it would make no difference.

If you needed to hire a secretary, or someone else to shuffle papers, and that took money out of your own legitimate pocket, from your own personal paycheck, THEN it would make a difference.

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

personally i would hire a secretary or pay an answering service(the cheaper route).
    I enjoy working in the field.. i would float between crews and alternate routes so you can visit sites every few weeks and perform quality control

6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have a secretaryto do paperwork,books,phone.. she/he can also make cold calls to prospective clients during the day....

7. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 crews in the field doing mowing and maintenance, then 1 man doing a fertlizing route and lawn care sales. I net for my pay a little off each crew. then as a bonus, I will do irrigation repairs, updates, etc, it not full time work doing those repairs but it's bonus money. Meaning really the overhead and expesnes are paid and covered by the other dependable revenues. The irrigation repairs are labor only expenses, plus parts. SO my point is once you get to running a few crew yes it helps tremendoulsy if you supply some of the labor, but make sure that phone is answered. Doing this will put you well above the competition.

8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I have 3 other guys that work for me and I make up the 3rd or 4th guy usually. I can't imagine not mowing or doing some landscape as a 3rd or 4th guy. I personally think customers are impressed that a owner/operator is out in the field. And I still love doing it so why stop.

9. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

Quality control dictates that the owner is out in the field at least every other week. There are ways around this, but why travel to the sites after your crew and waste the entire day. Travel with them and save $$$.

I have yet to find a crew leader that is willing to step up and act like an owner. Cutting corners, skipping properties, or poor performance in general have always lead to dismissal of the employee, and the idea of staying in the office. This is not an issue of $$$, either. I pay well.

The downside of the whole issue is that you are only effective in cutting your daily Cost of Goods Sold by becoming a laborer. You reduce your client base and sales figures because you are not acting as an owner should. Your increased sales are only through up-selling your current clients, not adding new clients (usually).

This is a dilemma we all face. It reflects on the adage of "Go Big, or Go Home!" We have to stay small to manage the company in a quality manner, and we lock ourselves into being a small company.

10. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I, look at how I think my time can be better utilized. For my company, running the company and selling landscape installs etc. to potential customers is a better utilization of that time.While staying in constant contact with our employeeÂ’s and supervisors, we let them do the grunt work in the field.