Couple newbie questions

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Leeg83, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Leeg83

Leeg83 LawnSite Member

First question is when you apply mulch do you remove old mulch from prior year or just go over old? Also how do i charge to put down mulch? and lastley how do i determine how much i need square footage or by yard and whats the formula? Thanks so much for help in advance:usflag:

2. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Measure the square footage. Then figure out how thick you want to spread it( use inches for thickness, 3" is pretty normal and divide by 12 to get a decimal) then multiply the sq footage by the.decimal for depth and divide the answer by 27 to get cubic yards
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

And I charge by the yard. Figure out how much your gonna pay for mulch and add for labor and delivery as well as mark up the price for the mulch a bit...make sure you charge extra for preping beds and weed killer
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

First question is when you apply mulch do you remove old mulch from prior year or just go over old?

Lay it over the old mulch.

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

If you are a professional, you do not just dump a bunch of mulch UNIFORMLY over a bed that already has mulch in it... you clean the current mulch w/out removing any more than necessary to get the bulk of the debris off,,, then calculate how much you need to get it looking good for the season...

Rookie hacks, actually remove mulch all the way down to the dirt... do they even have a clue what mulch in a garden is for???
    BTW,,, when you charge by the yard,,, not as much attention is paid to the plants and the condition of the current mulch... its easy to forget that you are responsible for a living and dynamic eco-system,,, not just laying carpet... :)

6. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

If they did, they wouldn't put down that stupid landscape fabric. To me, mulched flowerbeds are a clean weed free compost area.

7. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

There is no viable reason to remove old faded mulch before putting new mulch in. Sounds like an old wives tales kind of thing.

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I agree that fabric should NEVER be used under mulch...

I also agree that removing old mulch is like an ol' wives' tale,,, only worse... I can't understand why or how such a stupid idea got started and why LCOs would continue the stupidity... :)

9. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I think its the other way around Rookie and lowballers never remove mulch.
    When you remove the mulch you can treat them areas for grubs and other pest since its hard to treat them areas when the mulch is there.
    Sometimes the removal of some off the older mulch gives room for new mulch to lay.
    Like on tree rings to much build up can be a bad thing to a tree.

One reason I don't do much mulch work anymore so many lowballers just spread and go.
    People looks a the $$ signs

10. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Because someone thought weeds wouldn't come through the fabric. :hammerhead: