couple of questions about my new lazer z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by marley, Oct 2, 2002.

1. marley

marley LawnSite Member

I picked up my new lazer z "60 27hp l/c yesterday and have a few questions.

- what is a good way to get under the deck to service the blades?

- how many of you guys take off the grass shute?

- with the throttle at full after about a minute or so of driving around the dealership the throttle lever and rpms would go back down to maybe 80%. anyone ever expeience this?

-makes a lot of hydralic noise(compared to my hydro viking). Is this normal?

I will probably have more questions for you guys as this is my first ztr. I am excited to get out and use it asap. If you guys have any pointers for me about this mower I would appreciate them, thanks alot!

2. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

i have an exmark z hp 48''. to change the blades, i drive my back wheels up onto car ramps, the jack up the front to the even height. i put the ramps up against the wall and then brace the jack with something as well. (safety reasons, prevents slipping)

i do the same when changing the oil.

mine makes a lot of hydrolic noise too. i guess its normal, that's what i've heard. good luck and have fun with your new toy

3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Leave the discharge guard in place. Why?

1. Safety reasons
    2. In the dry summer months you will wish you had a bigger guard do to all the dust blowing back on you. I could not imagine running without one in the summer.

Yes, there are times when having the guard removed would be nice (Throws clippings further).

What I have done is drilled a hole in the tip of the chute, and attached a bungee cord to it. I can raise and lower the guard from the drivers seat as necessary.

Jim;)

4. Expert Lawns

good idea jimbo. right now i keep a long hook-like stick on board with me to pull it up and down. i like your idea better :p

5. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

To change blades I pull up on the left side of my trailer with the left side of the deck overhanging. Put the parking brake on and lay on the ground to change the left and center blades. Then I lay on the tailgate to change the blade on the right through the chute opening. When I have to scrape the deck I usually do the left side as I said, then pull up the tailgate on the right so I can lay on the ground and have better access to the right side.

Yes, the hydraulic's do make a lot of noise.

I removed my grass chute so I could install the director from York Sheet Metal. Very good purchase. You can control the grass clippings from completely open, although way to closed with two settings in between.

You may have to tighten or adjust the throttle lever.

6. Expert Lawns

kppurn...

i tried your method,but didn't trust it. ever had any slippage while torquing on your blades? when i used my trailer, my mower seemed wobbly and unsafe. but, to each their own, i'm sure there dozens of ways to do it

:cool:

7. Turtle II

Turtle II LawnSite Member

The best thing I've seen is an electric hoist and chain.
    Put a long steel bar between the front caster wheel arms, connect the chain to the bar and raise it up.

At my base they do this----then they roll under the deck on a board and sharpen the blades with an electric hand grinder....Dont even have to take the blades off.......
    These mowers cut huge feilds everyday 5 days a week......They change the blades about two times each season-----I know this is not the best way to treat blades,,,,but these mowers cut huge fields vs. putting a finishing touch on a residential lawn......

Turtle II
    :cool:

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

to change my blades, i just drive the lazer up onto two car ramps, but with the front casters instead. Then i use a car jack to jack the deck up a few more inches. you have just the right amount of clearance you will need to change the blades.

9. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

the throttle is an adjustment. I demoed the same mower you are talking about. They built it and brought it out and i ended mowing with my calf holding the throttle lever up. Talk to your dealer and should get it adjusted right.

10. marley

marley LawnSite Member

thanks guys