couple of questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by greenstreakross, Feb 1, 2008.

1. greenstreakross

greenstreakross LawnSite Member
    from iowa

where im from the minimum rate for any yard is 35 dollars. i have some idea of what to charge bigger yards but not 100 percent sure. do you go off of square footage? or just look at it and say a price. if anyone could give a little advice id appreciate it. ive workd lawncare for 4 years and my old boss doesnt seem to want and give me any advice on the business aspect.

2. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I've heard of some people saying they measure the squar footage of the yard and by using a predetermined formula of how many sq ft per min they mow, that is how they charge. But that seems time consuming.

The way I do it it is estimate how long I think it will take by servicing the lawn in my head. You have to what your rate is. Usually its $1/min.

I even take a legal pad along and doodle out the layout of the lawn, scribble in hedges and flowerbeds and write down how long I think it will take me to do them, add up all the hours and I've got my estimate.

Only problem with this method is that I spent all last year perfecting it, overpriced some yards, underpriced myself on others, but learned from it and do well by it now. :)

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I have to ask.

I'm curious as to why 35 is the minimum. Who sets it? What happens if you break it, are you fined? Do you belong to an association or does your state require licensing?

4. john3253

john3253 LawnSite Member

I also just estimate how much time it will take and then price according to that.

I am a solo operator and like to make around 60 per hr. for mow and blows. Although, most of my resedential accounts take on average 30 min my price is usually around $40 which allows me time to get to my next account and stay within the $60 per hr. range.

5. MOTES

MOTES LawnSite Member

That is excatly right. I do the same. :clapping:

6. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

For bigger yards I go off past experience. I know how much i need to make on the yard to stay in my price range, which is at least $225 a month for acre +. After that I see if they need shrub work or bed work done, if so then it all really depends on how much. Plus I might add on a "Pre-Madana" charge, if i know the customer is going to be a pain, that charge can be 10 to 20%. But I am picky on who I choose to mow. I stick with 20 yards a year plus my irrigation. My longest customer is going on 13 seasons this year.

7. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

YOU my friend would be considerd a LOW BALLER if you broke it!:laugh:

8. JDow

JDow LawnSite Member

Just wanted to make sure we're on the same page, but when you guys say "mow and blow", that does include trimming and edging right?

9. john3253

john3253 LawnSite Member

Yes It does

10. greenstreakross

greenstreakross LawnSite Member
    from iowa

thats just what everyone is charging minimum per yard. i workd for a guy for 4 years and he usually underbid everyone. i learned a lot of what not to do from him. how do you price yards?