Couple of RedMax issues

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Guys... two of my RedMax units are giving me problems.

A pair of hedge clippers and a blower.
    I've done nothing yet to try to figure out either other than dump the fuel.

The hedge clippers just do not seem to want to open up on top end.
    But if the tank is pretty low and I tilt them to one side full throttle...
    Well then the engine opens up and runs like I think it should for a few seconds.
    Then it dies.
    This is the only way it dies though.

The blower on the other hand, I noticed started with that "tinging" sound like they do before they run out of fuel. Shut it off to refill but it wasn't 'that low'. Later on, now it is to where it will run fine until you full-throttle it. Once you hold it full throttle just a bit, it will choke all the way down and die if you don't let off the throttle. Otherwise it will run.

Any ideas?

2. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Is this your 8001 blower? I know you went round and round about which one to buy. I was thinking about buying the 8001. I know I no help to your problem,sorry.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

No clue on the hedge trimmers.

The 8000: Does it do this when it's hot outside and maybe you've been running it off and on all day? If so, are you using Opti-2 or Amsoil? When I switched back to RedMax and Shindaiwa oil, it stopped doing this by 90%.

Do you still have the spark arrestor in there?

If it does it all the time, replace the fuel filter, check the rubber grommet where the fuel lines go into the tank to make sure it's not squeezing the lines too much, check very close where the black fuel line attaches to the carb (it may be cracked or cut), or pull the plug and check the top of the piston for cracks.

My bet is a cut fuel line at the carb.:confused:

4. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you dump all the fuel? I mean the can you had the fuel in.

You may have really low octane gasoline, just a guess since you mentioned "tinging" on the blower, could be pre-ignition??

Symptoms points to gas problem.

As for the trimmers, which model?

I have 3, a 2200, and 2 2400 series, one 30" single side. I had similar problems with one of the hedgers, I don't remember which one, I replaced the carburetor and fuel lines, filter and new plug, no more problem.

May have trash in carby?

5. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I only use Redmax oil, haven't had problems with that. You may, like he said, have a fuel line [or filter] problem on the hedger, maybe trash in carb?

Take it to your local RedMax dealer, I'm sure he will identify the problem and fix you right up! I bet they are still under warranty, you don want to void it, so take it back.....kenny.

6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

The fuel line on my 7001 will pull up in the tank grommet with very little effort. When it does, it pinches the line and does what you are describing.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Hedge trimmers are sucking air right before they die when you tilt them.When they start sucking air, they will run real fast then die. I do not think this is related to your main problem.Pull off spark arrester and throw it away if you have not done so. Pull muffler and check to see if exhaust port is plugged with carbon. If that is not the problem, adjust metering valve in carb. to get then to run back up to full RPM.

On blower, if it is bogging at full throttle then same problem/problems may exist. Carbon buildup, spark arrestor, or metering valve. We see these problems every week at the shop and the fixes I listed solve the problem 99% of the time.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Yes, the blower affected is one of the 8001's.
    I would still recommend them without question... especially for a leaf blower.

Today was the coolest day we have had since the last frost in spring.

Yes I am running Amsoil.
    The RedMax oil smokes too much and 'oils' out the exhaust.
    It's no an issue really... except it's unbearable with the NON stratocharged clippers.

Spark arrestor screens are off everything but the clippers (down discharge exhaust) as it just rained friday all day long (YIPPEEEEE!!!!)

I'll check the lines real close before I take it in.

No... these two units were the only ones effected and I just made fresh mix gas... so I just dumped their tanks.

And you know... I didn't hear the 'tinging' at all saturday when it started that dying crap.

Trimmers... it's one of the CHT2200's... really wish I had known they were not stratocharged.
    Very nice and light (that sold me) but they sorta suck a little.

Could be trash in the blower... don't think so on the clippers.

Yes, they are still under warranty.
    No worries there.

I just typically don't worry about warranty claims or trips to the shop to drop it off and pick it up over simple things I can settle out or change a part to fix, etc... I use the warranty for stuff I don't have time, patients or knowledge for troubleshooting........... And any time I take ANY piece of my equipment to a dealer, I never do so without having a darn good idea already of what is wrong.

Does RedMax use a filter that can float like Stihl does?

That aside, I figure the hedge trimmers are indeed sucking air when tilted (carb down) on a low tank. What erks me is they seem to run like they should for a split second before they die.

I will pull the spark arrestor out and put it in my ashtray with the others.
    I will pull the muffler too and have a look. I doubt this particular unit has enough time on it to have carbon. But the way it had such oily exhaust on the 50:1 RedMax oil, it might be gummed up.

This particular 8001 had the spark arrestor pulled when new and has never had it put back. It hasn't been put back even for the drought because I made a boo-boo on it thinking I had re-installed them all. I went hunting it and found that I must have dropped it when digging them out of the ashtray. It was on the carpet in front of the shifter boot in my truck.

The carb adjustments on the RedMax units are "hidden" right?
    Seems someone told me this.

If you are talking about "going inside" and adjusting the metering...
    That's what warranty is for... that can be tedious if you don't do it every day.

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Yes, let the dealer do the metering valve adjustment if needed. Besides, it sounds like this is a warranty problem anyway.
    I find that some models of Redmax equipment never come back in for metering valve adjustments and some other models almost always need a minor adjustment, a month or so after being put into service.
    Yes, Redmax uses a floating type fuel filter.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Ummmm... YUK! :confused:

Well... I tell ya... there's no wonder the blower won't run high throttle.
    I don't see how it runs at all.

I pulled the cap totally off... and on the lanyard something looked funky.
    So I pulled the fuel line out and dear lord...

There is this green goo on it.
    You guys gotta see this... I'll try to get a picture somehow...

Looks like maybe rubber meltdown crossed with the mix fuel color?
    The line feels soft.

I can only hope and pray the filter did an extremely good job because if that stuff made it inside the carb.... oh boy.

I checked everything else. Nothing else has this issue at all.
    Two things come to mind...

1- Methanol/Ethanol in the gas. Maybe I made a gallon of it and filled this blower from empty and topped off the other stuff? That would maybe explain the single unit being effected.

2- Out of spec / low quality fuel line?

Stabil wouldn't hurt anything like this would it?

What do you recommend for a tank flush?