couple of sod install ?'s

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Oct 10, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Customer is outting an addition onto their home and the builder has to tear up most of the lawn on one side of the house. Builder suggested they have the sod stripped and installed when the contractor is done with the undergaround work. WHile I have used sod cutters many times, I dont remember if I can adjust it deep enough to get the proper amount of roots and turf. I think I can but wanted to ask you guys.

Also, we're getting a little late???? to have the sod take hold as it will be the end of October at the earliest b4 the sod can be installed.

Please tell me if I'm wrong on my thinking on ths..thanks

2. GarPA

from PA

I would really appreciate a response or 2 on these questions.

I really dont want to do this job right now becuase I dont have much experience in cutting and relaying sod.

I might sub the work to another company that specializes in sod installs but I'm concerned about the temps. We're heading for colder weather here in the Mid Atlantic next week.

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

You won't be able to strip the sod very well and be able to save it anyways. The builder is clueless.
    Sod lasts about one day rolled up. The sod we lay is cut the same day. It doesn't keep too well. Maybe a day at max, even watered. The job will need removal, slight power raking of the soil, and then new sod. If the customer doesn't want it done right, pass on the job.
    As far as weather and how late you want to do this work, it's a gamble when it gets to be this time of year. We did sod last week and it froze for two nights. Just keep it wet and it should be fine. With the wet soil and current ground temps it will be fine. Obviously as you get closer to the end of the season, your chance of hard freezes are better and that can do damage.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Getting kind of late in the year for that kind of work Gar. You don't exactly live in sunny, southern FL btw. Heck, I just turned down an aerating and reseeding job last evening (3 acres)...told them to wait until Spring. They agreed.

5. WE have laid sod right up to christmas as long as the farm can cut it, As for using a sod cutter and cutting it and reusing it later , I always figured you had more money in it that way and was better off not worrying about and buying it when you need it.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about your area but I'm betting the others are right. What I do know about cool season grasses is they don't do well after being cut. Lots of stress.

7. GarPA

from PA

thanks guys....you guys told me exactly what I wanted to hear......I wish builders would stick to building.

What I did already tell the homeowner was that the sod would cost a whole lot more than if they let me grade it and seed it in spring.

Appreciate the expert advice(except for yours Rod....no sheet Rod its getting a bit cool out there!!!....the real reason you turned down that aeration/overseed was because you needed to take a few days off to count the PILES of MONEY you made from all those rich Joysee DINKS the past 7 months)

8. discrete1

discrete1 LawnSite Member
    from NC

the biggest thing to watch out for is the sod drying out. with no established root system and the air being drier with the cool weather its going to need water and if the customer can't commit to watering i would just wait to spring. btw you can adjust the dept of the sod cutter.

9. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I have found that the sod that you are cutting yourself does not have the plastic webbing in it to hold the large pieces together. So when you reuse the sod that you have, it tears apart which leaves more edges to dry out quickly and die. Best thing you can do is go buy new sod from a farm and lay it. Around here we have laid sod til mid nov.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Nah...I got somebody to do that for me now LOL.