1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Couple questions on an Ultra Vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Esby, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a new ultra vac on Saturday and have a couple questions:

1. What type of blades do you run.....just a high lift I assume, maybe gators?
    2. What about doubles.....do they work with the system?
    3. I have "The Director" on my machine, will I need to remove that entirely?

I'm getting it put on Thursday, I can't wait to try it out!!!
    Thanks for your help-Esby:D
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You'll need to remove the actual Director Plate. The tower, at least mine stays intact.

I've found that in "leaf season" FULL length sharpened Gator MAGNUMS (single) work best. I have used double regular Gators also.

HP is a big issue with the UV. It does draw a lot, and if your OK with it bogging you could try doubles.

What engine are you running?

Make sure you lube the idler pulley bellcrank zerk, it comes dry.

Let us know how you like it.
  3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

"Make sure you lube the idler pulley bellcrank zerk, it comes dry"

Amen to what TLS said. I forgot to do this and tore the belt. This zerk is not obvious unless you take a real close look.

Never ran doubles with the UV. If you are in wet conditions make sure you go slow enough to prevent jams in the impeller and tube. Been there done that too many mornings.

You'll like your UV
  4. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Never heard that the zerk needs to be greased, or that it existed, and it was not in the instructions I got. I used it last Fall......... hafta check it today....... The instructions that came with my UV were CR@P ! Good products, but need to be backed up with better/clearer literature.

Again...... Thanks to LS.... probably saved me some problems, Thanks guys!
  5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Been there, done that, I spent the whole day chasing all the leaves that blew out from under the front of the deck.

I may try the gators this year, last season I wound up using the wavy ~~~ mulchers from the mulch kit, it worked ok.

I also have the famous antiblowout baffle and it helped some but still get some blowout.
  6. socty

socty LawnSite Member

I just found out from my dealer that gator blades have been discontinued due to breakage problems. May not have new ones available until spring. Anyone have a good "plan B" blade?:dizzy:
  7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

the mechanic at the dealer said there was NO zerk in the ultravac. Go to the Exmark forum and do a search on Ultra vac..you'll see a thread there I started with this very same ?
  8. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

Yes, there is a grease fitting on your UV. Take the blower off the mower, turn it upside down and you will see it.