1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Couple questions on sandy soil...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by djmn, May 2, 2007.

1. djmn

djmn LawnSite Member

So I just excavated about 500 sq ft for a paver patio. The house was new construction a year and a half ago. The soil is really sandy and the mini skid tore it up pretty good.
    Whats the best way to compact the area before I start putting down the base? Should I wet the area before using the plate compactor? Right now it would be like trying to run a plate compactor over a beach.
    Also, the local supplier here says theres no real need for geotextile since the soil is sandy and it's only going to be used for foot traffic. Do you guys agree?
  2. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

I agree on the geotextile.

if it is dry sand then wetting it will help. We have very sandy soils on Cape Cod and another trick we use is putting down an inch of dense grade to add a little integrity to the soil.
  3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, I'd put down the geo-tex. It's cheap insurance, and it certainly won't hurt anything....