1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Couple Questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by midwest guy, Feb 12, 2005.

1. midwest guy

midwest guy LawnSite Member

Will be doing residential and looking to buying a 36'and 21'backup mower,trimmer,blower,metal ramps.
    Would it be ok for the 36'mower to ride in the back of a shortbox plow truck without doing any damage to it?
    Live in a apartment,going to rent a storage spot for the equipment.Don't have anywhere to put a trailer.
    Been looking at exmark,scag and toro 36'mower,not sure on the one to buy yet,what's your opinion?
    Any comments you have on this setup please pass them on.
  2. pgiambat

pgiambat LawnSite Member

Midwest Guy,
    I have run that setup for several years. I put 2 foot sides on the sides of the bed rails of the pickup bed. I carry a 36" scag belt-drive walk behind, a blower and a trimmer and all the gas and oil and other needed other things to cut. I mow part time as I have a day job and keep my mowing at 20 - 25 cuts per week so this size setup suits me just fine. Any bigger and I would have to get a trailer and so-on...
    I did just pick up a used 52" hydro and that guy backs up the ramp and goes in to the back of my truck just fine and the tailgate closes. This will let me cut faster on yards I can get a 52" into.
    There you go. I think it's a fine setup, plus, I can cover it up with a tarp when needed.
  3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I had a 48" hydro in the back of my pickup. The 48" was a tight squeeze between the wheel wells. With a 52" you'd have VERY little room to manuever. Have you found it to be a little difficult at times? Just curious...Also be careful of your tailgate. With the mower and yourself on it you are over the weight restriction on the gate. Just keep inspecting those support cables for splits or abnormal wear.
  4. mikestr

mikestr LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

pgiambat, can you explain this... I am curious I want to get one on the back of my Silverado 1500 EXT CAB. "2 foot sides?"
  5. Scandia Lawn Care

Scandia Lawn Care LawnSite Member

you cut 6 2x4's and drop them into the stake holes on the rails of your bed...cut a 4x8 sheet of plywood and then screw it to the 2x4's in the stake holes..... and if you want to cut another piece to go right behind your rear window as well.......there you go.... 2 foot box!
  6. mikestr

mikestr LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

I assume this is to avoid the wheel wells on the bed?
  7. Scandia Lawn Care

Scandia Lawn Care LawnSite Member

nope, your just extending the height of your pickup bed. Kind of like an enclosure or enclosed trailer.
  8. mikestr

mikestr LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

Ahhh, I get it. That's a good idea for sure.

9. toddtt

toddtt LawnSite Member

Hi, I am looking at a re-conditioned toro pro line 37 " walk behind with the t-bar handle.
    They are asking 1,795.00 for it. It looks great, it has the mulching package and has a 12.5 kohler motor. I do trust the company selling it, but I need advice on the price please... thank you
    e-mail todd@carljarl.com