Couple quick questions for a beginner

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by TCZellars, Mar 25, 2009.

1. TCZellars

TCZellars LawnSite Member

I have done alot of paver work previously but have never been involved in the pricing end of it. now that i have my own company had a couple quick questions about pricing. When you give someone a price per square foot what does that price include (base, stonedust/sand, pavers)? does it include labor and how do you price for the excavation of it. any other thing that i might have forgotten please let me know!

2. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know how much I can help but I always heard it is not the best idea to price pavers by the square foot.
  3. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

4. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

Never price by the square foot. If you have done this you have an idea of production hours. You need to figure out what it COSTS you to run YOUR company for one hour. Then add $XX for profit. This is now YOUR labor rate. Using the production times figure out the amount of $ for the project. You can easily figure out the materials costs.
  5. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto. Never use sq. ft. pricing, every job is different.
    I sometimes tell a customer that it generally runs between ___ per sq. to ___per sq. just to find out if they are serious, but when it comes to actually pricing the job, you have to find out what it costs you to build and go from there.