1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Couple quick questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Dec 14, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

1) when driving only a few blocks to the next lawn do you fasten your seatbelt?
    2) do you ever fasten your seatbelt at all? Maybe just on highways, anything over 35mph?

3) This one only applies to owners of deisel trucks, but when doing small lawns that take 8-13 minutes or so (not long) do you shut off the truck or leave it running? I have been raised to beleive that deisels are better off left running for a few minutes than shut off, start, shut off, start all the time. Maybe this is only applicable to old school deisel engines and the new ones you can run alot like a gas? I don't have any knowledge or experience with deisels, fill me in.

2. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I always were my seat belt no matter how for it is or how fast I plan to be driveing. I believe the same thing with diesels best left running but don't know if thats true with todays new and improved diesel engines.
  3. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I always wear my seat belt and so should you.:)
  4. Lawn Wizard

Lawn Wizard LawnSite Member

Yup everytime I get into the truck the seatbelt goes on. Its just a habit now so even if the next stop is only a minute away I click it out of habit.
  5. theplantdoctor

theplantdoctor LawnSite Member

I'll second that!

Now, for diesels, we shut it off. Diesels need heat to run. In the summer, heat is usually no problem:p . It will start right up with no hesitation. Remember, it is still burning fuel when it is idling. If you are not driving the truck then you are losing efficiency. If you are the one paying for the fuel, this will add up. Don't forget, most diesels you see running all day are being paid for by someone else! Most employees couln't care less how much fuel the company has to pay for! These days, starting and stopping a diesel engine is no harder on it than a gasser. A very close friend of mine has been working on diesel engines for about 20 years now, and has seen the "myth" destroyed over and over again.

My 0.02

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I wear my seatbelt all the time. I don't care if I'm just going a block, anytime the vehicle is moving seatbelts are on. I don't know about Indiana but in Illinois its the law. I've also been told most accidents happen within a few miles of home. Let's be safe.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

No seatbelt here. Know I should, but don't. Very uncomfortable. NC has a loophole in the seatbelt law. If your line of work involves alot of stopping and getting out of vechicles, you're not required to wear a seatbelt. EX. Pizza delivery dudes. LCO's would fall in this catergory. Don't get me wrong. Seatbelts should be worn. But I've never worn one while working. Now when I'm in the mommy mobile, that's a different story. First thing I do is click on the belt.
  8. Took a while to get use to it but its the law so i finally got to buckleing up.
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

funny this post should come up. just yesterday, i got stopped in my truck at one of those road blocks, where they pull u over and just look to find something wrong(have to meet their quota u know) well, i got a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt, as i was pulling away, the cop yelled, "sirrrrr, dont u think u should put on your seatbelt?". i said, " i dont have one". well, now hes saying he should impound the vehicle, etc, etc. so, i blew a little smoke up his butt and swore i would take it directly to the repair shop, please dont take my truck, .....its xmas, i have kids to feed, etc, etc. he let me slide.....
  10. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Me & my guys don't ever wear the seatbelts. No particular reason, we just don't bother. I don't plan on starting to anytime soon either. When its 100 degrees out and youve gotta pile 3 guys into a truck to drive 3 minutes to the next lawn...seatbelts are the last thing on our mind. Maybe its just how we've been brought up??