Coupler for Gravely tractor...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mkwl, Oct 22, 2006.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I have acquired a 1970's Gravely 4 wheel tractor (17HP). The owner has a snowblower attatchment that fits the front PTO with no problem. He also has a brush deck and lawn deck that were make to fit his old walk behind Gravely tractor (no longer has WB tractor). My question is, does anyone know of a coupler that could make these decks (made for the WB tractor) fit onto the front PTO of my 4 wheel tractor?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry Matt, But there are no adapters I have ever seen for this application. Reason being the 30" bush hog, 32" finish mower and also the 40" commercial mower all require the use of a wet lube safety clutch that is lubed with the walk behind tractor transmission oil. Without this safety clutch one could tear that 8 spd. transmission slap up And you sure don't want to go there, Gravely is proud of the cost for replacement trans. parts for these.

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Just wondering, is this wet lube safety clutch something like the torque converter you find in a auto transmission?

4. Restrorob

Below is a break-down Fixer, Reference #17 is fiber washers that must be continuously splash lubed. The springs # 12 have a specific adjustment spec. and pattern for proper adjustment. This clutch PAC absorbs energy produced from hitting objects and causing internal trans. damage (twisted shafts, Broken gears).

Gravely Attachment Clutch.jpg

5. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

Actually they do make an adapter for the older 4 bolt attachments. It is needed to put older attachments on newer 2 wheel quick hitch and on the front of riders. I have a lot of gravelys and attachments. You should go here for any old gravely ???'s http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gravelyclub/ and these are the parts you will need http://www.gravelytown.com/gravelytown/antram_parts/flail_fadaptk.htm
    at the bottom.
    I order my parts from Antram Enterprises in PA, they will take phone orders and ship.
    Mike

6. Restrorob

Thanks for the link Mike, As I stated I had never seen one for this application, We were a Gravely dealer for 12 yrs. just never ran across one. Guess I can eat crow.....

7. wallzwallz

Rob, there is no crow being served from me, I hope it didn't come across like that. You are very knowlegable and help a lot of guys on here. I just happen to be an old gravely junkie. Mike

8. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you know where I could get one of those adapters cheaper than $350?

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Watch Ebay. They show up there once in a while. Or, check with some other Gravely dealers in your area for a better price.

10. wallzwallz

mkwl welcome to the world of Gravely, parts are expensive. Ebay is a good source. We have a Want ad mag ,in which good deals can be found. If you get into PA often, used Gravelys seem plentiful and cheaper there, than New England. How big a snow blower do you have? Good luck. Mike