1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Coupling/ Connector Box

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by okeefl, Jun 14, 2007.

1. okeefl

okeefl LawnSite Member

Are there any commercially made boxes (plastic) that have dividers for different size connectors, couplings, etc. I would like to find something to store a small supply of 1/2", 3/4", 1", funny connectors, etc. that can be carried by hand? Or some pics of what you guys use. Thanks
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

No actual boxes, but more like trays. For smaller stuff, I tend to grab whatever looks good at the Home Depot, or Lowes. Stanley seems to have some pretty good cases.
  3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I like the Stanley cases with clear lexan top and yellow removeable boxes for the smaller stuff. For larger parts I like the grey boxes with removable/ adjustable dividers.. think I got them at Ewing, but I've had 'em so long I don't remember for sure....

OK. I just checked Ewing's website... Benjamin totes:

And a two-sided nozzle/ emitter box:
  4. Costco, Target, k-mart Wally world, they all have one form or another, but I use a 4 drawer system.

Somewhat keeps all the fittings clean, stackable(3 high or 12 drawers) easy to carry the drawers and keep the parts separated. Also easy to load an unload from pick-up.Since I do smaller systems, easy to just take the drawer and drop what ever fitting I need at the point needed.

Price ranges from 20 to 40 bucks and last me a full couple season as long it is stored in the shade.
  5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I use dividable grid containers for smaller 1/2" to 1" fittings. They are probably bigger than what you are looking for, and I wouldn't want to lug them around from hole to hole. But they work well for keeping all my common fittings sorted as well as being able to keep track of how many I have left. I generally just move the boxes to the general vicinity that I will be in, then take out what I will need for the next few minutes and throw them in a small tote. You buy the dividers seperately and you can pretty much create the size space you need. They do get pricey though.

I also have some Flambeau Tuff Tainers for smaller stuff, but they are too small for what you need. They are dirt cheap though and you can move the partitions around. They are shallow and better for stuff like nozzles.

My supplier has King Innovations 5 gal. buckets with divided trays for about $20. They would probably be about as cost effective as anything for what you need.

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We use divided boxes grouped by sprinkler types for our nozzles. If on a site and doing installs we'll use "earth friendly" shopping bags (canvas type) to carry parts to the pipe intersections and then drop them where needed. We'll also use the bags to carry extra smaller sprinklers while servicing zones. The bags will also hold a couple pairs of Channel Lock pliers and our sprays pop-up holding tools. Makes for easy and fast repairs/replacements.
  7. BPC

BPC LawnSite Member

I use one of those for some of my more odd ball fittings. I know North South and FIS carry them I am not sure if Central does or not.

I have a couple boxes that I Picked up at home depot or lowes for nozzles and some smaller parts. They run about $15 each. Just make sure they are locked before trying to move the box. Remember the game perfection?

Don't be fooled by the tackle boxes that have major manufacturers names on them. You can get the same thing at Walmart for half the price.
  8. okeefl

okeefl LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies.
  9. How's that lake doing?
  10. okeefl

okeefl LawnSite Member

The level is low, but it is good for the lake bottom. Todays level is 8.91 with normal being around 12. The flood control district is using this time to scrape muck of the bottom which in turn will help vegetation growth.