coupon-after the fact

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Henry, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

I get a call for lawn maintenance, meet with the guy and he signs a contract. Three months later his wife calls me and says "I've had your coupon here but my husband didn't know. Will you still honor it?"

The coupon is for full service (weekly mowing, spring/fall clean ups, shrub trimming and 5 apps) and that's what they signed up for.

Would you honor it?

2. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

It is still not clear what the coupon is offering? What is the savings or special?

Three months later seems fishy. Why not after the first or second bill? Are the terms spelled out? If so stick to them. If terms are not spelled out, exept the coupon graciously and do the work with style.

Good luck with the decision that you make.

3. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

The offer was $100.00 dollars off/full season. They signed up in May and we did a clean up but missed 3 cuts @ $45.00 each. We usually get 2 cuts in during April.

4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

What did you tell her when she called?

Full service.. Sounds like it is a money maker.. so I probably would honor it.

5. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

If the coupon has been issued with no guide lines it is only right that it be granted. If they are of questionable integrity I would ask that it be taken off the last bill, or credited in quarters from four different invoices. This way they can not just use you for the hundred and cancel. Most people are not out to get you but there are people who just work the system for all the freeby's that are available. I doubt that this is the case. They just want their honest discount that was offered.

Next time consider the small print to protect both parties.

Remember that those long term loyal customers had a begining also.

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

What TSG said.

7. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Yep honor the coupon,hey if they recommend you to a couple of neighbours or friends, makes that $100 a cheap investment.Even if they only use your services for a couple of years,still good value for your money.I used to do a lot of coupon advertising when I was in the Garden Centre biz,they can be good but you certainally have to be careful what you put on them,people read all kinds of things into them ,that often you hadn't intended.Always have an expiry date for the offer too!,other wise you get people bringing them back years after the promotion you were doing.Out of interest how many coupons did you get back from the promotion,what did the $ spent per job received work out at,was it worth while?.Cheers..........

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Yes. Why offer a discount to someone who is not a customer and not offer it to your current customer who is paying the bills? Do it and make it back in upsales.

9. wolfpacklawn

wolfpacklawn LawnSite Member

Why in the world did you offer $100 in the first place? That is way too much of a discount coupon. You obviously didn't need it to get this customer that you are speaking of. He signed up with you without the coupon. Now you have to honor it and eat $100. All of my promotions are time dated and my "hook" or discount is usually something in the area of a $20-25 value.

10. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

wolfpack,

I think it all depends..

I have a flier & that offers $100 off for new clients that sign up for a yearly agreement. These accounts will average $2500+ per year though..

$20-25 would be chump change ;)