Coupon Offer....

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Collegiate, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Collegiate

Collegiate LawnSite Member

I have been running an ad in the Local Newspaper and not much success. Maybe one call from it. It has only run for two weeks and this paper only goes out on Thursday of each week. This is my second season and i want to gain about 15 more accounts. What type of Coupon would be attractive to new customers? Any help is great appreciated.

2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

FREE
    DISCOUNT
    ACT NOW

Hopefully some kind of catchy wording is in your ads.

They want to see that they are getting something for free, even if you make up the cost somewhere else.

Like, 5th week of mowing FREE,
    or I give 10% discount on all services for the year prepaid before April 15th. This gets some money in early to help out get the year going.

Something to catch their eye, and then something to keep them interested is the basic idea.

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Collegiate,

Here are some other coupon ideas that we have seen.

- Free Lawn Cutting *get your 4th cut free with seasonal contract

- $25.00 off Spring Clean up

- $25.00 off any job of $300.00 or more.

4. aperfectlawn

aperfectlawn LawnSite Member

I would suggest: FIFTH MOWING FREE and SENIOR DISCOUNTS
    I use these two in my ad and I get 2 calls a day.

5. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

Like that idea,

I'll give a free mowing to anyone who refers me. Got five regulars that way.

6. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Don't feel bad. I have run a display ad offering free plowing with mowing agreement, and then one with coupons for mowing and spring cleanups. Paper like yours once a week, run for 5 weeks now. Not 1 CALL!!!! Not even 1

7. twins_lawn_care

It's all about business.
    You have to keep at it, if one ad doesn't get calls, try signs, if they don't work, try flyers, if they don't work, try door hangers, if they don't work, dress up like a chicken and dance on teh side of the road!
    This may sound silly, but the truth is, if you're not getting a response from something, learn from it, and keep going!
    This year we've been having great success with our door hangers, and from leaving piles of business cards at local pizza shops and stores. We've only handed out about 200 door hangers, and have got 6 calls from them. The good thing is we picked where to put them, so they are houses we want. Landed 4 jobs from the 6, and talking to one more today.
    The thing is, sometimes you get better results, sometimes you won't, but if you don't keep trying all the options out there, you definitely will not get calls.
    We put out flyers, and not 1 call from them yet, but since we have these other options going out, we're not just sitting around with no work.
    Not to say go spend everything you own on advertising, but be smart about it. Business cards are about $50 per 1,000, and you can hand them out for free. Lan done account, and those easily pay for themselves. Think different and get noticed, that is what I have learned.
    Every person that I have called has commented on the quality of my door hangers, or business cards.

Keep on trying, and don't get down!

One other thing, sorry to be so long winded, but try and build off of your current customers. We met and talked with each of our customers, and gave them a letter about our referral program. Gave them a few business cards, and have them spread the word about you. We offer a free week of mowing for every new customer they bring to us.

8. Collegiate

Collegiate LawnSite Member

Thanks for the Helpful Insite. I am covering at least Three angles right now.. The business cards, flyers, and Newspaper ad. I am getting some business from the flyers, so i am not just sitting around but i hear exactly what you are saying about staying on your toes and always pluggin away. I will be going out soon with another 500 flyers and i have recently talked to several of my current accounts. I like the idea of giving a free mow for a referal so i may try that. Thanks again for everyone's input. It will all come into perspective soon enough.

Ben

9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I used a "calendar" type coupon flyer that I passed out to clients ... It had a little bit of everything we did so that they would think of us year round ... whether it was $10 off snow removal in Jan or $25 off an aeration in May ... they always knew we could do something for them.

10. twins_lawn_care

That calendar idea sounds like a good one. I may have to come up with something along those lines, in order to promote business for each season. I think that's a keeper, good idea kutnkru!