Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jim Feder, Jan 25, 2002.

1. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Val-Pak sucks. We had tons of calls, all of them looking for scrubs. We did get good results from Southwestern Bell's coupon mailings. Seemed like better customers looked at them. How'd it go for you guys?
  2. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

My personal preference is direct mail postcards, only to the target market you are trying to approach. Make sure they are colorful and professional to make them stand out. My theory is that this has to be done several times in order for name recognition to take effect. Even if the particuliar type of advertising is "annoying", people will remember who you are and what you do. Why do you think Verizon still has the guy saying "Can you hear me now?" - although people say the ad is annoying, the point is they remember it and they associate Verizon with the ad.
  3. turfmarketing

turfmarketing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

In any form of adverting, frequency is important. The more copies distributed, the more opportunities you have to make an impression on prospects or customers. The impression can be good OR bad. 40,000 bad coupons are still bad. Even worse. It's bad on a grand scale.

When considering producing coupons, mailers, yellow-page advertising, or any marketing material, QUALITY is just as important as QUANTITY. 1,000 pieces of a well done promotion is much more effective than 40,000 pieces of a poor one.
  4. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

Now that we are almost in September, how many customers did you get off the 40,000 coupons?
  5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

so...what happened?
  6. Jim Feder

Jim Feder LawnSite Member

we got 17 out of 40,000 some are fert some are mow some are both going to do it this year two.:p
  7. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Average residential mowing service $1K annually. $300.00 invested, 10 customers @ $1K each, $9.7K net gain. Not bad numbers in my book
  8. Nebraska

.0425% ..... and your going to do it again? Does not seem too effective unless they are VERY CHEAP (the coupons).
  9. Jim Feder

Jim Feder LawnSite Member

i will tell you what i paid if you tell me what is the most you would pay for 40,000 names to homes that are going to see your trucks and signs week after week working in their hood.:D
  10. Nebraska

I would pay approximately $340-$566..... That's our exact cost to attain 17 new mowing &/or fert customers based upon our marketing methods in 2002.

So really, how much did it cost you? How many calls did they generate? How many of the initial calls were actually "closed....the sale made?"