coupons

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jim Feder, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

You're right.

But:

1.) You've gotta start somewhere.
    2.) A business as small as yours shouldn't need to advertise.

2. Andrew S

Andrew S LawnSite Member

Hi Clay,

I try to increase prices regularly,leaving it a few years makes it harder to catch up.

No I don't increase new customers ,I try to price the job correctly before I start.

However if I have customers that are difficult to deal with I will increase their prices by a much greater percentage.That way it is their decison to cancel my service rather than argue with them,or if they keep me on I am being paid very well for putting up with them

3. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

"However if I have customers that are difficult to deal with I will increase their prices by a much greater percentage.That way it is their decison to cancel my service rather than argue with them,or if they keep me on I am being paid very well for putting up with them"

Thanks Andrew... Man, do I hear that one!!! lol...

But for the average customer, how do you determine the amount to raise? Cost of living index? Or maybe a set percentage each year? Do they know about this and expect it annually?

Thanks, Clay

4. Andrew S

Andrew S LawnSite Member

As an afterthought here is my increase notice:

TO ALL CLIENTS

Due to ever increasing operating costs it is now necessary to adjust the charge for your lawnmowing services.

In future your regular price will be $....... per cut

Trusting you understand that prices must periodically reviewed

5. Andrew S

Andrew S LawnSite Member

I think the percentage will vary depending on where you work but I try to go for 5% to 6%

6. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Andrew,

Man, 5 to 6% annually would sure make for some nice accounts in about 10 years!!! :)

Have you been able to retain multi-year accounts with this strategy? It would seem that you would price yourself out of business after a few years??? I was thinking more like 3 to 3.5% annually... but I sure hope you are right!!! lol...

Clay

7. Andrew S

Andrew S LawnSite Member

Most of my accounts are over 5 years old but this is why I have to advertise to replace the customers looking at price only.

But why would I keep a job that is the same price in 5 to 10 years time,these same people will go for a cheaper price when you do increase your price in 5 years time.you might as well replace them with a better paying job now.

Also when you sell work in your outer areas if the pricing is good , it will be easier to sell, if your pricing is down and the purchaser is smart he will not buy your work

one thing that I have'nt touched on is that we always turn up or follow up with a phone call if we will be late.provide the good service-charge the right price