Courses/Certifications

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfman33, Jun 20, 2002.

1. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

Hi,

I have only been in business a little over a year now and would like to get certified. But where do I start? Do I get certified in lawn care? Does this cover Furtilization? How do I go about weed and bug treatment courses. As you can see I'm a little lost at the moment, but really would like to expand my knowledge end get somewhere in the lawn game. I have gone from being a Chef to mowing lawns.......So I'm a little bit lost.

Thanks

Steve:dizzy:

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

......on what your goals are with this.

What are you trying to do?

Are you trying to get certifications to do certain things legally??

i.e. pesticide and fertilizer apps, contractors license

It depends on your area and your scope of work if you need a contractors license to operate legally. Most places its just a fee that needs to be paid sometimes with a small test. Some states are stricter than others.

There are other "certifications" out there too that aren't neccessary. Some are from associations, some from manufacturers, etc. Some are well worth it and require a real test (SIMA certified snow pro is a good example), some are a manufacturers way of getting your money just to send you a pretty certificate to hang on your wall that means nothing.

Your best bet is to find a good contractor in your area to talk with. Also check with the SBA in your area and your Agriculture dept to see what certifications, if any, are neccessary to run your operation legally.

If your just trying to expand your knowledge in the field, look for seminars in your area from the different associations out there. Sometimes suppliers and manufacturers offer classes. Your local community college may have a hort. program that you can take a few night classes from, spend a day a week shadowing someone from a larger company, etc, etc.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Good Luck!

3. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Contact your local extension office, and find some local organizations.

Be ready to invest some money, a lot of time and hard work.

BTW welcome back Guido!