Courses of Study

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rhalverson, Mar 13, 2007.

1. rhalverson

rhalverson LawnSite Member

I live in SE Wisconsin and am planning on starting up a lawn care business. I currently have a "day job" so I don't need to rush, (though I hate my day job so the sooner the better.) Anyway, I want to do it right. What's a good course of study to take up in turfgrass management and what's a respected online school.

My plan is to be ready to "hit the ground running" next spring even if I'm still studying. That will give me a year to prepare, (doing market studies, acquiring equipment, setting up a business entity, preparing advertising, etc.)

Also, I would really like to strike up a conversation with one or more practicing lawn care professionals out there. I have the opportunity to plan this out properly and my question would be, "If you had the time to plan this business out from scratch, what would you do?" I know there are a thousand pamphlets and "courses" and franchise "opportunities" out there regarding how to do this, but they all want to sell me something so, naturally, I don't trust their agenda.

Any input from a seasoned "pro" on any of these topics, or any other, would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

2. John's Lawns

John's Lawns LawnSite Member

I would probably start out with some good books such as Turfgrass Management by Al Turgeon or How to Start a Home-based Landscaping Business by Owen Dell. I'm not sure about online schools, maybe someone else can provide some info.

3. rhalverson

Hey, thanks for the tip. My local library has Owen Dell's book so I'll start there.
    Rick

4. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

I read all the time.Every time I finish an install or what ever brings in some side money,I get a new book.Plant books for your region are great.I look up all the plants at the nurserys I use.Even if you dont do design and installation,when someones lawn guy dont know whats wrong with the bush,or the name of it for that matter,you win...Same way with turf and trees.

5. rhalverson

Thanks for the tip. I enjoy learning and reading, (especially as it applies to my means of producing income!) I wouldn't have thought about the "plants" angle, but I'm sure you're right. This makes you look knowledgeable about your profession and that's got to be good for business.
    I also really enjoy digital photography, so after getting your posting, I'm planning to photograph a bunch of lawns in my area and then identify the various lawn plantings in the photos. Thanks for your insight.
    Rick

6. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

I like to take pics of really nice designs and plant combonations.Your right though.I picked up a lawn this week because I new how to talk to her.The yard looked really good but the quality was'nt the problem.She wanted someone that could tell her what was going on.She has a fert company but I can tell her what she needs to know before it becomes a problem,and in tern she can can call the spray guy.