1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

courtyard install

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jbirdturf, Jan 16, 2008.

1. jbirdturf

jbirdturf LawnSite Member

I am doing a courtyard install at a doctor's office. I am installing a 4" river birch in the center that will be surrounded by by concrete and benches. I figured atleast a 6' x 6' circle around the base to be open. Should I go bigger? Are there certain trees that work better for this type of situation?
  2. landvet

landvet LawnSite Member

Is it a clump or single stem? It should be fine but if you can allow for more room it would be beneficial ( possibly another 1-2' would help). River birches can get iron deficiencies pretty easily and with a lot of concete around you should amend the soils and try and dig out any gravel. I'd also mix into your soil a slow release fertilizer such as 14-14-14 osmocote. The low N and higher P&K will be better for initial root developement. I also like throwing in some dried michorizal fungi to help stimulate quick root growth to lower stress, especially if the tree is just starting to leaf out. As far as better trees; we use a lot of Honey Locust because they survive well in high alkaline soils like we have here, but sometimes there a problem if they develope leaf hoppers, because the bugs tend to flop down on people when their sitting under the tree. My fav in courtyards is flowering pear, preferably Cleveland select. It's a great, but over used tree. Good luck!
  3. AllProMow

AllProMow LawnSite Member

What's a 6' x 6' circle????:)