1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cousin killed yesterday

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by impactlandscaping, Mar 24, 2004.

1. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Yesterday, in a friend's basement among friends, my 15 year old cousin was killed in Ashburn , Va. I would ask everyone to keep my uncle's family and the rest of our family in thought and prayers at this tragic time of loss and mourning. Some of you guys in Loudoun county may already be familiar with the ongoing story there. This is a great network of friends here, and I appreciate all the support and prayer you could offer to them at this time. We'll all miss you , Nick.....

2. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

sorry to here about your families loss,you have my family and companies full prays at this time..
  3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Sorry to hear that. Condolences to you and your family.
  4. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow i'm sorry man. We will be praying for you and friends/familey.
  5. Eddyyy302

Eddyyy302 LawnSite Member

My deepest condolences, and my prayers that your family will come to terms, and emerge from this terrible event.

Eddy Landscape Design
  6. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

sorry to hear about your loss. care to share what happened? talking about things always help
  7. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Our thoughts and prayers to you and your family.
  8. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

My thoughts and prayers as well.
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Here is the story. My prayers are with you. This is the next town over from me.

Ashburn slaying: Tragic accident?
    By Scott Cissel

Times-Mirror Staff Photo/Andrew Farewell

An Ashburn teenager was charged Tuesday in the shooting death of Donald Nicholas Shomaker, a 15-year-old freshman at Broad Run High School.

Matthew J. Lathram, 17, was in the Loudoun County Juvenile Detention Center, charged with involuntary manslaughter and reckless use of a firearm in the Monday evening tragedy, according to court records. Lathram is a student at Broad Run and attends alternative education programs.

An attorney familiar with criminal law said the involuntary manslaughter charge indicates the shooting was an accident -- that Lathram had no intent to shoot or kill Shomaker.

The shooting occurred at a home in the 43900 block of Bruceton Mills Circle, where Lathram has lived with his grandparents for 10 years.

Lathram ran from his home, shouting to a sheriff's deputy that the shooting was accident, according to a neighbor. "I didn't hear him say anything other than that it was a total accident," said the neighbor, who asked not to be named. "The kid was upset, he was hanging his head."

Sheriff's deputies arrived at the scene at 6:22 p.m. Monday, shortly after dispatchers received a 911 call that someone had been shot, said sheriff's Lt. Col. Randy Badura. Shomaker "was lying in the basement of the home with a single gunshot wound to the chest," said Badura.

At 7:30 p.m., Lathram and another young man were seated in deputies' cars in front of the home. Both were questioned, Badura said. The second young man was not charged, and was not identified.

Passersby at the scene of the shooting said they frequently saw teenage boys loitering around the front of Lathram's home in the upscale neighborhood. About a year ago, several neighbors said the garage door was spray-painted with graffiti and a window was broken.

On Tuesday, grief counselors were on hand at Broad Run High School throughout the day. Loudoun County Public School's spokesman Wayde Byard said the faculty gathered before class to discuss the incident. "There were some tears shed this morning," said Byard.

He added that counselors will be available for students as long as needed. "We're letting them find the level where they can function right now," said Byard.

Dylan Love, a senior at Broad Run, said he felt the school responded well in the wake of the incident. "There were some people that were pretty upset by it," said Love. "The school wanted to be as open as possible."

Love said a locker has been dedicated to Shomaker, where students and faculty can place sympathy cards and flowers.

The case is still under investigation by authorities.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Many prayers.